Ann
Melbourne

Scandinavia, Stockholm, Copenhagen, Oslo, Sweden, Denmark, Norway

Winter sports in Scandinavia

What popular sports are played in Scandinavia in the winter time (arena sports)? I will be there in Jan/Feb and am a sports fan, so I would like to go to a sports match of some kind while in Stockholm, Copenhagen or Oslo. Is there football on at that time of year? I have read ice hockey is a popular sport in Europe. Is that played in Jan/Feb?

Icehockey is really big in Sweden and certainly the thing to go and see that time of year.

You should have no problems finding games when you get there.

There won't be much football that time of year as the league is not running in the winter because of weather terms and should the national tema play then they retreat to warmer countries that time of year.

Sofia from Vasteras

There is no soccer or football during that time but we do have ice hockey, floorball and handball in Sweden. We also have something called bandy, it's a mix between floorball and ice hockey but they're playing on a field that is big as a soccer field. Bandy is huge in my town (Vasteras) but it's outside so not super fun if it's -20C.... But to be honest, it's not very fun because you can barley see the ball either...
So you should go see ice hockey, floorball or handball :)

1. Vasteras (city)

Martina from London

Hey, you should most def see baandy – which is like floor-ball mashed together with ice-hockey. In Stockholm you can see it outdoor at Zinkensdamm. And make sure to bring blankets, warm clothes and a thermos with hot chocolate (and I would suggest some whiskey to go with it). 

1. Zinkensdamm (attraction)

Thomas from Stockholm

Icehockey is played during Jan /Feb. Bandy is a similar but different winter sport played on ice. The playing field is the size of a soccer field and it is played with a ball.