Amy
Jacksonville

Savannah

What is your favorite under rated attraction in Savannah?

We all know Savannah is a charming historic city of the South. What will visitors be surprised to find? 

The Jepson Center for the Arts. When I was planning a trip to Savannah about two years ago it barely came up in my research and I only even went there because I needed to kill an hour. Couldn't get over what an amazing, modern museum it was. 

Also, before I went I kept hearing about how you should steer clear of anything "Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil" related but I thought the guided tour of the Mercer Williams House (you're not allowed to go through it on your own) was incredible. Then again, I'm a huge fan of the book. 

1. Jepson Center for the Arts (attraction)
  2. Mercer Williams House (attraction)

Lori from Statesboro, Georgia

So much emphasis is on River Street, but one of my favorite spots since childhood is Fort Pulaski National Monument. My kids loved the moat and investigating the old artillery bunkers the last time we went back to Georgia to visit. It's also a wonderful spot for birdwatching.

1. River Street (attraction)
  2. Fort Pulaski National Monument (attraction)

Kevin from Hermosa Beach

Just walk through the squares downtown and along River Street. A good locals bar downtown is Pinky Masters. Used to go there when worked on the newspaper.

Patrick from Denver

I agree about the Jepson Center for the Arts. It's such a clean, modern design, set on on the city's older squares, and there are lots of surprising exhibits inside — especially work of modern/contemporary Southerners and work that blurs the lines between art and technology. 

One of my favorite small museums is the Ships of The Sea Maritime Museum. They have two stunning gardens that are a pleasure just to sit and relax in. The collection consists of highly detailed models of 18th and 19th century sailing vessels, along with various artifacts like scrimshaw, tools, etc. It exists within a home built by one of the funders of the first transatlantic steam ship (whose story is an interesting one in and of itself). 

Another personal favorite is Savannah National Wildlife Refuge, which offers some great opportunities to spot gators, egrets, and other critters. 

Unexpected food finds (things that are delicious, not necessarily Southern): I'm particularly fond of Green Truck Neighborhood Pub and Tybee Island Social Club