Hillary
Atlanta

Hillary from Atlanta asked

Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil

I’m coming to Savannah this fall and would love to see some of the spots mentioned in the book (I’m a huge fan). Where should I go???

Savannah

OK, not to brag, but I could write a book on "The Book" as they refer to it in Savannah. I've read it roughly 9,000 times. OK, maybe more like four or five, but I'm still very, VERY up on the characters and places and went to just about every one when I was there in March. Enjoy, my fellow fan!
  • Mercer Williams House– If you only see one thing from the book, this should be it. Our tour guide was incredible. You’ll even see the room where Jim Williams shot Danny Hansford!!!
  • Telfair Museum– Aside from just being a fantastic museum, this is where the “Bird Girl” statue from the cover of the book is kept (after the book came out too many people came by to see it and it was no longer safe there). 
  • Club One Caberet – this is where the Lady Chablis performs. She had to move out of Savannah after the book came out (apparently she became too famous), but she still performs there once a month. 
  • Bonaventure Cemetery– it’s a bit of a drag getting out there unless you have a car, but it’s certainly a must-see (by the way if you’re trying to find Minerva, she died a few years ago)
  • Clary's Cafe– this is a great breakfast place that’s mentioned in the book. As you’ll see when you go, they’ve practically turned the place into a shrine for it, complete with a stained glass window of the “Bird Girl”.
  • Antiques stores—there are dozens of them throughout the city that carry really, really fine antiques and you can almost picture Jim Williams shopping in them. 

1. Mercer Williams House (attraction)
  2. Telfair Museum (attraction)
  3. Club One Caberet (attraction)
  4. Bonaventure Cemetery (attraction)
  5. Clary's Cafe (restaurant)