Alex

Alex from London asked

Tips for a first time visit to Sarajevo?

I love walking, off-the-beaten track, day trips and FOOD!!! Lots of food please ;) 

Sarajevo   Bosnia and Herzegovina

Kristal from San Francisco

Hi Alex,

I hope I'm not too late. I absolutely loved my time in Sarajevo. I wrote an article about the foods that you must try in the Balkan region, but for specific restaurants there are three that really stick out:

Pekara Kovaci kod Mahira is a corner store that literally only sells pizza, I believe they only sell this one kind and it is AMAZING! It has more traditional Bosnian toppings (dried meat, kajmak) on it and you can't miss it. During the 5 days I was there, I took pizza to go 3 times. 

Cevabdzinica Zeljo is a traditional cevapi place (for more detailed description about the food specifically, check out the article I mentioned above). Just order the cevapi with bread and kajmak, you won't be disappointed. 

- Restaurant Brajlović is the perfect example of farm to table, they get all their produce and meats from their own family farms. Portions are big and delicious!

Also, if you want the best and most authentic souvenirs, go to the town square (Baščaršija) and you'll find a street (Kazandžiluk) with a row of copper goods. You might have to ask to find this particular store, but it's worth it because this shop is the only one that truly makes everything by hand and his artistry is amazing. The store owner's name is Mirsad, he is the most famous shop owner, so you can ask anyone in the town square and they will direct you to his store. He has everything, from smaller trinkets to more elaborate and expensive gifts. Even if you don't plan on buying, it's great to check out. 

Enjoy your trip!

-Kristal

Eat & Escape

Alex
Hi Kristal, thanks for this!!! My trip was back in Feb but I did actually manage a few of your recommendations and they were def worth it! What a delicious city, no?

Kristal
Aww, I'm sorry, but I'm glad you enjoyed it! Yes, I was surprised by how much I loved it! It's great!

1. Sarajevo (city)
  2. Brajlović (restaurant)
  3. Baščaršija (attraction)
  4. Kazandžiluk (attraction)
Christy from Minneapolis

Great food is easy to find there. It's everywhere. And it's safe to eat pretty much anywhere.  

My first night there, my friends and I walked to a high point on the edge of the city to drink wine, watch the sunset, and listen to the many calls to prayer. It was beautiful. It made them enjoyable rather than annoying.  

Also, go to the top of Trebević. Walk, bike, or drive. We biked. The 1984 Olympic bobsled track is there, abandoned, graffitied, and beautiful. Learn about it, how it was used during the war, then go walk its length.  

Walk the city and look at how much evidence of war is still present.  

Talk to your cab drivers. Many of them faught as young men.  

Sarajevo is amazing. Have a blast!!

Alex
Thanks! Great tips and I love a good view so sure to take your advice on the perfect sunset spot ;)

1. Trebević (attraction)
  2. Sarajevo (city)
Biegun from Poland

I was there in September and wrote down my observations. Maybe my article will help you to understand Sarajevo and to choose interesting places.

My relation from Sarajevo

Alex
Thank you! Much appreciated!

1. Sarajevo (city)