Lindsey
Texas

Sao Paulo, Texas, San Antonio, Dallas, Houston, Austin

Cheapest way to get to Sao Paulo from Texas?

Hi to all!

My husband, Thiago, is a Ph.D student here in Texas, and is getting pretty homesick for his family in Vitoria/Rio/Sao Paulo. I've also never been to Brazil (shame, right?), and I'm dying to see it!

The tricky thing is, we are living on his student stipend and my entry-level salary (above 30k and below 40k), and I've realized how expensive even just the flight to Brazil can be, especially for two people who can only go when school is out, which tends to be the most expensive time to travel.

Any advice on when might be the best time to buy tickets? The best site? Maybe an airport in a town close to Sao Paulo, or Vitoria, or Rio, that is cheaper to fly into?

Any advice on how I can make this happen for my husband would be amazing. He's such a sweetheart and is loving Texas, but home is home, and I know he's missing his family, friends and country, and I want to give him the chance to get back sometime this next year.

*Note: We can easily get to San Antonio, Dallas, Austin or Houston from our current location in Texas, so all of those airports are options for us.

*Another note: Ideally, if we could keep the cost of the tickets at $1,200 or below (preferably below!), that would be fantastic.

Thanks to anyone for your advice! :)

Mo from Houston

If you can make the drive down to south Texas (near McAllen) -AND- cross the border into Reynosa, Mexico (just on the opposite side of the border from McAllen, TX), then there's a flight deal for you.

Aeromexico has a deal for REX to GRU (departing 1/8) and GIG to REX (departing 1/19) for $963 roundtrip, including taxes.  The itinerary has a short layover in Mexico City both ways.

REX=Reynosa

GRU=Sao Paulo

GIG=Rio de Janeiro

Would make for a hell of an adventure too. :)

1. McAllen (city)
  2. Reynosa (city)
  3. Mexico City (city)
  4. Sao Paulo (city)
  5. Rio de Janeiro (city)

Bianca from Miami

You should actually be okay with that budget -- I just did a search on Expedia for Dallas to Rio de Janeiro in April and it came out to just over $1,200 for two, so you should be able to get something at least close to that if you're flexible on the exact dates. Have a great time! :)

1. Dallas (city)
  2. Rio de Janeiro (city)

Ve from São Paulo, Brazil

If you are willing to have 1-2 stops you will be able to get a ticket for about 700/800, almost impossible to get something cheaper. Avoid june and july and december and january since this are peak seasons.

Sao Paulo and Rio are the most important international travel hubs so it is cheaper to come here first. There are airports in smaller cities around here but it is usually more expensive.