hope
Seattle

Santorini

How many days should I spend in Santorini?

I'll be spending two weeks in Greece in September, and want to make Santorini my first stop after Athens. How many days should I plan to stay? Would 3 or 4 be enough? I don't want to regret not spending enough time there since it looks so gorgeous, but I also love to be really active on my vacations and would like to make it to a few islands.

Valerie from Los Angeles

Ah Santorini. Such a beautiful Island!

I would say 3 days is enough time to spend there. Greece is such a culturally and architecturally rich country, I don't want you to miss out on all that is has to offer! The thing with Greece is that many of their attractions are very dispersed all over the country. It would take me a full day to drive and see a temple or any other monument. So I would stick to 3 days. I highly recommend exploring the other islands as well, like Mykonos which is my favorite island out of them all. 

Opa! Enjoy Greece, Im jealous of all the delicious food you are about to eat. Make sure to try Tiropita, it is absolutely scrumptious.

Safe travels 

1. Santorini (island)
  2. Mykonos (city)

Missy from Newport

Santorini is unlike any of the other Greek islands,  Actually, there are no two inhabited #Greek Islands alike.  All of the inhabited Greek Islands are unique and different, however Santorini is very different and unique.  I would spend 4 full days on Santorini, and I would be sure to stay in a "cave" hotel right on the Caldera, for an extraordinary view.  If you fly right to Santorini on a domestic flight from the Athens Airport after arrival from your international flight, you will probably arrive in Santorini late afternoon or in the evening. After spending 4 full days in Santorini, on the following morning, there are early flights out of Santorini back to the Athens Airport, and in the same day it would be very easy to catch another domestic flight to another Greek Island. 

For your 4 days, the following is what I would do.  If staying right on the Caldera and close to Fira, you can walk the walkway that is right on the edge of the Caldera to Fira, and enjoy this village while overcoming jet lag.  There is great shopping, museums, (you should not miss the Museum of Prehistoric Thera, which houses the finds of Akrotiri, as a prequel to visiting Akrotiri in the next few days), and relax in cafes and tavernas enjoying the view.  For the next 3 days, I would rent a jeep which can be delivered to your hotel, and on the 2nd day start to explore the island, including the Boutari WineryAkrotiri Prehistoric Town (it is worthwhile here to hire a government licensed guide-look for government licensed), and other parts of the island.  On the 3rd day, drive to Oia Village, and enjoy Oia for the day. If you park in the Oia car park and head downhill to the harbor at the base of the cliff, there are a number of tavernas ringing the harbor at harbor level.  I like the one farthest away, on the other side of the harbor.  Stay for sunset, as enjoying the sunset in Oia is a daily celebration out on Sunset Serenade Point. Oia has great shops and great art galleries.  On the 4th day, perhaps head to Perivolas to Agios Georgios beach to sun and swim on a black volcanic sand beach, and have lunch at Seaside By Notos.  This is pricier than a typical beach taverna, however worth the price for the great food using locally grown Santorini tomatoes and caper berries.  Or perhaps take an excursion to Nea Kameni, the little island in the middle of the bay to see the volcano crater and then the little island of Thirasia, with the little village of Manolas on the top of the Thirasia caldera.  Every single thing that you enjoy on Santorini will be a unique and different experience, and only available on #Santorini.  

1. Santorini (island)
  2. Greek islands (island)
  3. Caldera (attraction)
  4. Fira (attraction)
  5. Museum of Prehistoric Thera (attraction)
  6. Boutari Winery (attraction)
  7. Akrotiri Prehistoric Town (attraction)
  8. Oia Village (attraction)
  9. Sunset Serenade Point (attraction)
  10. Perivolas (attraction)
  11. Agios Georgios (city)
  12. Seaside By Notos (restaurant)
  13. Nea Kameni (attraction)
  14. Thirasia (attraction)
  15. Manolas (attraction)

Raquelle from Cochrane, Alberta

Hello!

I just got back from the Greek Islands and spent the last of my trip in Santorini. We got there Monday evening and left Friday morning. To be honest, I could have stayed another 2 days to really soak it all in (it was my favorite of the 3 islands we visited (Naxos, Ios, Santorini).. with that being said, there is a ton of diversity between the islands, and they are all special in their own ways. I would say 4 full days would be perfect, especially if you are staying in town--Thira, which is close to everything and very easy to get around.

1. Santorini (island)
  2. Thira (city)

Sonika from Mumbai

I wouldn't recommend more than 2. There is only 1 view over the cliff overlooking the sea and the volcanic island which everyone goes to see. Every single picture you see of Santorini is that. Blue church against the sea.. Other than that, there is absolutely nothing. We went to a winery (with the same view) which was interesting. But the top thing to do in Santorini is - watch the sunset, that's it. You can watch it from the main city and one evening from Oia. I would spend more time in Mykonos. The whole island is beautiful, lots to walk around and see, beautiful beaches..

1. Santorini (island)
  2. Oia (city)
  3. Mykonos (city)

Gosh, as many as you can!  We stayed in Oia, which is far less touristed than Thira (where the cruise ships dock).  Stayed Delfini Villas-ask for the cave house and tell Rena we referred you. She's amazing!  If you stay there, or wherever you stay, make sure you have a balcony facing the caldera.  We got take-out nearly every night and watched the sunset's colors change on the rock walls.  Amazing place.

1. Delfini Villas (hotel)

Sarb from Ottawa

3 full days is enough , hope you are going the first week cause honestly 3rd week of September will be boring and its gets windy, the island dies ..... I spend 6 nights in santorini 3rd week and i wont advise it. 1st week would be nice