Gabriel
Etobicoke

Santorini

Best way for a group of 5 to get around on Santorini?

My family and I (5 adults) are spending a day in Santorini as one of the stops of our cruise. I was wondering what is the best way for us to get around while on the island.

Missy from Newport

Hi, the very best way to tour Santorini for a day is to ask the Cruise Concierge to have a rental car or jeep made available for you and waiting for you at the quay where the Cruise ship will unload guests for the day or make the arrangements yourself with a rental car company in Santorini.  Personally I prefer a jeep.  Be sure to visit Akrotiri, the towns of Thira, and Oia, and at the top of a mountain on the main island are the ruins of Ancient Thera.  For lunch a favorite Taverna of mine is in Oia.  Park in the car park in Oia, head down the hill to the harbor, then walk along the quay past all of the Tavernas to the Taverna on the other side of the harbor farthest from the car park.  It is excellent.  I will be there in a few weeks for lunch. 

1. Santorini (island)
  2. Akrotiri (attraction)
  3. Thira (city)
  4. Oia (city)
  5. Ancient Thera (attraction)

Lauren from Chicago

Gabriel,

My family (4 adults) had a cruise stop on Santorini a few years back and we took the bus to get to Oia. With the limited amount of time we had, we decided not to spread ourselves too thin and just spend our time there - it's where you'll find some of the most picturesque views of the island (and also many, many tourists in the summer months).

We traveled in August and the bus was PACKED - my husband and brother ended up standing the entire winding drive there. It was inexpensive and direct, but definitely a little stressful. Not sure if that's a recommendation for or against the bus, guess it all depends on your travel style, how much time you have on the island, and how much you want to see. 

Have a great trip, I can guarantee that after the small taste of Santorini you get on your stop, you'll be forever itching to return!

1. Oia (city)