Gabriel
Etobicoke

Gabriel from Etobicoke asked

Best way for a group of 5 to get around on Santorini?

My family and I (5 adults) are spending a day in Santorini as one of the stops of our cruise. I was wondering what is the best way for us to get around while on the island.

Santorini

Missy from Newport

Hi, the very best way to tour Santorini for a day is to ask the Cruise Concierge to have a rental car or jeep made available for you and waiting for you at the quay where the Cruise ship will unload guests for the day or make the arrangements yourself with a rental car company in Santorini.  Personally I prefer a jeep.  Be sure to visit Akrotiri, the towns of Thira, and Oia, and at the top of a mountain on the main island are the ruins of Ancient Thera.  For lunch a favorite Taverna of mine is in Oia.  Park in the car park in Oia, head down the hill to the harbor, then walk along the quay past all of the Tavernas to the Taverna on the other side of the harbor farthest from the car park.  It is excellent.  I will be there in a few weeks for lunch. 

Gabriel
Thanks Missy! I've read in several places that finding a place to park in Santorini can be a challenge. And we'll be there on a Saturday which I think makes things worst. What's your take on that?

Missy
Yes, parking can be a challenge around the walking street towns of Thira and Oia, however the only other choice would be hiring a car and driver, and I have always preferred to rent a self drive jeep (easiest, I think to park). If you cannot find a car rental place that will bring a rental to the quay where you would disembark in Santorini from the Cruise Ship by tender, I suggest taking a taxi from that quay to the airport to pickup a rental car and then return the rental to the airport and take a taxi, for which there is always a cue at the airport, back to the quay.

1. Santorini (island)
  2. Akrotiri (attraction)
  3. Thira (attraction)
  4. Oia (city)
  5. Ancient Thera (attraction)
Lauren from Chicago

Gabriel,

My family (4 adults) had a cruise stop on Santorini a few years back and we took the bus to get to Oia. With the limited amount of time we had, we decided not to spread ourselves too thin and just spend our time there - it's where you'll find some of the most picturesque views of the island (and also many, many tourists in the summer months).

We traveled in August and the bus was PACKED - my husband and brother ended up standing the entire winding drive there. It was inexpensive and direct, but definitely a little stressful. Not sure if that's a recommendation for or against the bus, guess it all depends on your travel style, how much time you have on the island, and how much you want to see. 

Have a great trip, I can guarantee that after the small taste of Santorini you get on your stop, you'll be forever itching to return!

1. Oia (city)