Michelle
Winnipeg

Santiago, Mendoza, Argentina, Chile

What's the best way to get from Santiago Chile to Mendoza Argentina??

I'm thinking about flying to Santiago Chile and spending a week or two there and then I want to go to Argentina for a month. What's the best way to get from Chile to Mendoza?? Any other tips for these places would be greatly appreciated. I'm also looking at accommodations other than hotels.. Couchsurfing or volunteering in exchange for a room (workaway.com) I'm very open to suggestions. Thanks 

Fernando from Santiago

Michelle, the trip from Santiago to Mendoza is very nice by bus, crossing the mountains. It´s possible almost every day in the year.  Depending on your tastes I could give you more info about Chile. One/four weeks for Chile/Argentina does not look fair for Chile´s nature

Fernando

1. Santiago (city)
  2. Mendoza (attraction)

Ignatius from Braunschweig

Hello,

the most common way is by bus, it takes around 8 hours, I'd recommend you to take the earliest bus to enjoy the andes mountains in daylight. I have done it twice some years ago. I bought the tickets directly at the bus terminal but you can buy them online, e.g. in

http://www.andesmar.com

Daniela from Santiago

You can go by car but it takes more than 6 or 7 hours, but it worth it because you can go across the mountains. by bus is the same, and by plain a litlle bit expensive but faster. 

Jeannette from Brooklyn

Hey Michelle!

I traveled from Mendoza to Santiago last year by plane. It's a very quick trip and fairly inexpensive. Another popular option is taking a coach/bus, but it's about an 8 hour trip. The bus reaches a fairly high elevation as well crossing through the Andes, so if you have any problem with altitude, I would advise against this method. If you decide to bus, Andesmar and Turbus are good options.

Hostel Empedradois a comfortable, lively hostel in Mendoza. Not lively in the party-hostel sense, but more so that it tends to fill up, with lots of folks using the common areas. Mostly expats, but typical friendly backpackers. The front desk can set you up with all kinds of tours as well. Otherwise, Couchsurfing is always great!

1. Hostel Empedrado (hotel)

Fernando from Santiago

"decided to see a bit of chile"

excellent decision! lot of different things to see in Chile: desert, glaciars, sea, snow, etc

Stephanie from Santiago

Fly! If you go on skyscanner.com it's not that much more expensive than taking the bus and you'll save nearly 7 hours of travel time. So worth the ext a $10-20, especially to not have to deal with immigration at the boarder (A nightmare). Also while your in Mendoza you should totally check out the company LocalAventura. They're a small startup but have really cool and authentic tours in Mendoza. I went on the meet the winemaker tour with Peter and he was amazing. He was really warm and friendly, born and raised in Mendoza, and very very knowledgable about his wines... but not in a stuck up/ pretentious way. He was perfect for both people who don't know anything and people who are experts! Oh did I mention he's actually a former winemaker and certified sommelier, pretty cool I think!