Michelle
Winnipeg

Santiago, Argentina

Any packing tips for Santiago & Argentina??

We will be there for a good part of November... Are the evenings warm enough for shorts?? What do you wish you brought and did you bring anything you didn't need?? Where is the best place to get $$ ? Should we bring a plug converter or are they easy to find there? Thanks!

Laura from Buenos Aires

Right now we have a really nice weather although last week it was raining all the time. The nights are usually warm, you can bring your shorts, but also bring a couple of sweaters and a light jacket. 

Oscar from Santiago

Hi im from Santiago! We are getting pretty warm now, mid november I think its already doable in shorts, but never forget your pants! some times we have colder nights. If you can reach Mendoza in Argentina, Santiago its pretty close, i think 6 hours bus, you can check tickets here  http://www.andesmar.com, they are like 330 argentinian pesos.

In Latin America, you can stand near the highway and use your lucky finger to get a ride for free :)

The best hot dogs in Santiago are at Hogs https://www.facebook.com/hogs.salchicheria

In Santiago, some nice neighborhoods are. Lastarria (Metro U. Católica), Barrio Italia, and Barrio Bellavista (near San Cristobal Hill)

Best,

Oscar

1. Mendoza (attraction)
  2. Santiago (city)
  3. Lastarria (attraction)
  4. Barrio Italia (restaurant)
  5. Barrio Bellavista (restaurant)
  6. Hogs (restaurant)

Sarah from Washington, DC

Just got back from a trip to Buenos Aires myself - amazing city and so so beautiful! I second the comment on bringing cash to exchange! We were able to get the "blue market" rate of 14 pesos to the dollar (vs. the official 8 pesos to a dollar) so it made everything we did/bought SO much cheaper! We stayed in the Recoleta neighborhood and our hotel recommended a change office just around the corner. It felt safe and meant we weren't just changing money on the streets. If you're interested, it was right across the street from the Meliá Recoleta Plaza. There's a sort-of hallway with several small businesses (a key maker, a travel agency, etc.). The change place is on the right. It's an unmarked door with a buzzer but you'll see people going in and out. Sounds a little shady but it's not. There were cops standing outside keeping an eye on things (I'd assume since people are coming/going with large amounts of cash) so clearly it's not illegal. 

After the fact I'd wished I brought more cash...but it's not always good to be traveling with tons of cash on you of course. One decent alternative my friend used to get extra cash was to wire money through Xoom (xoom.com). It was easy and the pick-up itself was hassle free, at a place right in the middle of the city. She got an exchange rate of 12 pesos, so still better than taking money out of an ATM. 

We did bring a converter with us...and glad we did as we definitely needed it. I just picked up a multi-country converter at Bed Bath and Beyond before I left.

As for weather, it was pretty hot during our stay - definitely warm enough to wear shorts/dresses into the evening. They're heading into their summer so you should be ok but obviously that completely depends on current weather. It never hurts to bring layers and then you have options!  

1. Buenos Aires (city)
  2. Recoleta (neighborhood)
  3. Meliá Recoleta Plaza (hotel)

Damian from Rosario

Hi Michelle!

Attention!!!...In Argentina and Chile, use the same voltage is 220V, in Canadá is 110V. Although most of the electrical devices in the world are used in the 2 voltages.

The Adapter is readily available, used plug for this:

Also you can buy a universal adapter that serves to anywhere in the world:

- In Argentina you will not have problems changing money, everyone will want to buy the u$s, you can go to an exchange or sightseeing places. Have no trouble changing money, you should have cash dollars, but well hidden.
The most convenient is the "blue market" ( so we call ) is where they will pay more for your dollars and change is safe in any place.

- In climate, this time of the year begin the beautiful days, it is hot and humid at night can cool down. You can use your shorts!!!...jajajaaj :)

Anyway wearing coat, weather descends from north to south, and west near chile and ridges of the Andes.

Any questions, ask me!...Good trip and good luck!

Damian.

1. Argentina (attraction)
  2. Chile (attraction)

Romy from Tel Aviv

The best advice I can give you about Argentina is to bring some dollars in cash. If you trade it on the "blue market" as they call it, in the streets, you will get a much higher rate than in official change or at the bank (Cambio). It is pretty safe to change in the streets, each city/town has a little different rate and as you go more to the south it gets lower, so if you're in Buenos Aires and plan to go south, change as much cash as you can so you'll have a better rate.

I landed in Buenos Aires and it was very easy and cheap to get a converter (but since I'm not very familier with your electric plugs I think it will be safer for you to look for some more information online)

I haven't been in Santiago, and have not been in Argentina in November so I don't know about the weather. But I do hope I helped a little.

Have a great trip!!

1. Argentina (attraction)
  2. Buenos Aires (city)
  3. Santiago (city)