Jen
Toronto

Santiago

2-3 days in Santiago. What shouldn't I miss?

I'm stopping off for a couple of days in Santiago, Chile on my way to Easter Island.  I'll be there in early September, travelling solo.  What should I see/do while I'm in Santiago? 

I like to get a feel for the culture of a place.  Museums, self-guided walking tours or live performances are good.  My main interest though is nature/outdoor adventures.  I enjoy the old vino as well, so vineyards are always an option!

Any tips/suggestions for me? Budget isn't an issue and I have no problem using public transit to get around.

Christopher from London

You are very lucky, the 18th of September is Chilean independence so there are celebrations throughout the whole month. The parks will have "Fondas" with typical chilean games, folk dancing, rodeos, food and "Chicha" which is a sweet wine. Visit the Fonda in  Parque Padre Hurtado or venture out of Santiago for a more traditional fonda (try the nearby town of  Los Andes).

There is a great walking tour that leaves from downtown by  La Moneda and covers most of down town.

For outdoor adventures I would recommend  Cajón del Maipo at the foot of the andes mountains where you can treck, horse ride or even do canyoning (absailing down waterfalls).

In terms of vineyards if you want a quick tour visit Concha Y Toro http://www.conchaytoro.com/web/tour-en/cost-and-booking/ and take the extended "Marquez de casa concha" tour, it's worth the extra. You get a tour of the vineyard and explanation on the wine making process, the premium tour also includes a sommelier guided wine tasting of four wines paired with cheese. For a longer tour you can take a day trip to wine valley.

1. La Moneda (attraction)
  2. Parque Padre Hurtado (attraction)
  3. Los Andes (attraction)
  4. Cajón del Maipo (attraction)

Fernando from Santiago

Jen,

i believe the only museum that is unique in Santiago is Museo Chileno de Arte Precolombino that shows aspects of the life of natives of South America.

Regarding vino, you have a lot of options to visit vineyards close to Santiago, 15 km or less. Maybe Concha y Toro, the biggest,   Santa Rita Winery, or someone in the Casablanca valley that you could include in a trip to Valparaiso (120 km), a city/port built on hills.

About nature, you could go to Farellones 3.000 mt high), the Andes mountains (35 km) from Santiago. In setember, the ski season is finishing, just to have a look. 

About the city, you could walk to cerro Cerro Santa Lucia (downtown), Cerro San Cristobal (200 mt high, i understand) in a residential area, around 3 or 4 km from downtown. Also, you can walk from one to the another one, including Parque Forestal, Barrio Bellas Artes. There,  I suggest a bar wine, Bocanariz Wine Bar, where you can taste several chilean wines with food in a good combination.

best regards

fernando

1. Santa Rita Winery (attraction)
  2. Valparaiso (city)
  3. Cerro Santa Lucia (attraction)
  4. Cerro San Cristobal (metro area)
  5. Parque Forestal (attraction)
  6. Bocanariz Wine Bar (restaurant)
  7. Museo Chileno de Arte Precolombino (attraction)
  8. Concha y Toro (attraction)
  9. Barrio Bellas Artes (attraction)

Carole

You shouldn't miss La Chascona which is Pablo Neruda's house in Santiago. Also get to the bohemian neighborhood Lastarria to grab a coffee or to see local handcrafts. Don't miss the food court at Isidora Goyenechea in El Golf.  The best pizza of Santiago is Tiramisu

1. La Chascona (attraction)
  2. Lastarria (attraction)
  3. Isidora Goyenechea (attraction)
  4. Tiramisu (restaurant)

Elliot from Rio de Janeiro

Don't miss the restaurant Fuente Alemana (Fuente Alemana) close to Plaza Italia. The sandwiches are heart-attack-inducingly delicious, and the older women who cook in front of you are endearingly cranky.

In addition, if you can handle "dark tourism," then I very much recommend Parque por la Paz Villa Grimaldi (Parque por la Paz), which is a former torture and detainment site from Pinochet's brutal military dictatorship. It now serves as a memorial to the victims and as a living museum for visitors. Witnessing this will help you begin to understand how that era continues to leave its mark on Chile's day-to-day life, politics, and economy.

Chile has a very unique culture that defies stereotypes about Latin America, and from living in Latin America for over two years, I think the country is the most dissimilar from the rest of the region. Enjoy!

1. Fuente Alemana (restaurant)
  2. Parque por la Paz Villa Grimaldi (attraction)

María del Mar from Santiago

Don´t miss : parque forestal and lastarria neighborhood to take a walk around (Parque Forestal,Nolita, Chilean National Museum of Fine Arts, Gabriela Mistral Cultural Center, Emporio La Rosa to take an ice cream or a cup of tea looking at the park). All this is very near from city center, you can go walking (govern house La Moneda, Plaza de Armas, the beautiful bulding of Santiago Stock Exchange). If you like wine, there is a wine bar in Lastarria street called Bocanáriz

And in Easter Island, I have been there several times.....you will love it.....go to my sister´s shop called Tamure Rapa Nui !!! ( In front of Lan office).

Have a nice trip!

1. Parque Forestal (attraction)
  2. Chilean National Museum of Fine Arts (attraction)
  3. Gabriela Mistral Cultural Center (attraction)
  4. Emporio La Rosa (attraction)
  5. La Moneda (attraction)
  6. Plaza de Armas (attraction)
  7. Santiago Stock Exchange (attraction)
  8. Bocanáriz (attraction)
  9. Nolita (restaurant)

Yvonne from Canada

I wrote about the 16 top things that you can do in Santiago. I lived in Santiago for a year, so I have a little bit of experience on what to do! 

http://undertheyewtree.com/things-to-do-in-santiago-chile/

If you have any questions, please do no hesitate to email me at yvonne

Daniel from Chile

You can go see Cerro San Cristobal

1. Cerro San Cristobal (attraction)

Tatiana from Chile

Try this website. It belongs to Santiago's Town Hall.

http://www.santiagocultura.cl/tours-gratuitos/

Municipalidad de Santiago

1. Municipalidad de Santiago (attraction)