Julia
Boston

Santa Fe

Wine lover's Santa Fe?

Can anyone tell me some great places to go for good wine in Santa Fe? I’m taking a photography workshop there in the spring and will be there for about a week. I’m a big wine lover so I’d like to know some places that have good selections. 

MaryAnn from Albuquerque

Julia, 

New Mexico has a great wine history and most places serve 'local'. Tradition says that wine has been produced in NM since around 1629. Monks and friars snuck in vines from Spain to make the sacrificial communion wine. Gruet, St Clair, Black Mesa and many others are great choices grown and produced in the area. Most great establishments will be happy to guide to a regional choice in wine. 

As to specific places to eat and be merry with wine in mind I would suggest  Rosewood Inn of the Anasazi or  El FarolThe Bull Ring has been recommended to us but we've yet to make it... Keep in mind that Santa Fe is a casual place (all of NM is) so please be kind with your reaction to how *limited* a wine list may be!!! We moved here from Dallas 2 years ago and once I got over my 'city' expectations I fell in love. A great selection here is an adequate one in the bigger fancier city wine bars but you are sure to find some great choices you would not find elsewhere!!

1. Rosewood Inn of the Anasazi (hotel)
  2. El Farol (attraction)
  3. The Bull Ring (restaurant)

Jeff from Frisco

If you find yourself in the mood for a margarita, the best in town are at Maria's New Mexican Kitchen  They have a huge margarita menu.  My favorite restaurant in town is La Boca

1. Maria's New Mexican Kitchen (restaurant)
  2. La Boca (restaurant)

Jeff from Frisco

If I remember correctly The Shed has an award winning collection and great food and margaritas as well.

1. The Shed (restaurant)