Patrick

Patrick from Los Angeles asked

Do we need to rent a car with AWD in February?

Hi fellow trippy,

We're planning to visit Santa Fe, NM from Feb 13 - Feb 16 and rent a car there. We're staying in Santa Fe and planning to visit Chimayo, Bandelier and Tent Rocks.

Do we need a car with AWD (all wheel drive) to drive to those places?

Thank you :)

Santa Fe (New Mexico)

Crystal from Anchorage

Hello Patrick,

I am temporarily living in a mountainous area close to Albuquerque and not too far from Santa Fe. I love New Mexico

I would recommend getting an AWD vehicle. You might not need it, it just depends on the weather. We have been getting a fair amount of snow this winter though and I think it is better not to risk it. It would be awful to get stuck in a snow storm! The roads can be very curvy and hilly, I've seen 2WD cars struggle and get temporarily abandoned on the road side until the weather clears and the roads are plowed. 

That is my advise. I hope you enjoy your time in the area, it is a magical place to be.

Crystal

1. New Mexico (attraction)
Joe from Santa Fe, New Mexico

Its better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it. We get large snow storms all the way through april which can affect road and driving conditions. Or you can get a 2wd and hire a guide ;) to take you to those places. Not only do we have 4wd and awd vehicles we also know the local stories, history, geology, landscapes etc... Hope that helps and sorry for the plug www.santafewalkabouts.com