Kay
Vermont

Santa Barbara

Bachelorette Weekend Getaway in Santa Barbara

My friends and I are going to Santa Barbara for our friend's bachelorette party/ getaway. I need ideas! I don't know the area very well. What are some good restaurants, wine tasting vineyards (nearby), beaches, day activities? Are there any places to paint your own pottery? I'm looking for slightly out of box outings/venues to hangout.

Elizabeth

Bachelorette parties are important! So let's talk.

First, the unusual: The The Grapeseed Company lets you make a custom scent. They sell soaps, lotions, oils and such. Pre-arrange for your party. And as Kelsey said, The Painted Cabernet has had good reviews from my friends. If you want to compare yourself to real party animals, go to the Santa Barbara Zoo. That's definitely not traditional for a bachelorette party.

For a fun dinner, consider reserving a fire pit table at Cafe Zaytoon GREAT atmosphere, belly dancing on weekend evenings and yummy Mediterranean food. Another dinner spot with a good atmosphere and fun cocktails is Blush Restaurant + Lounge. It even brags that it's the best bachelorette party location in Santa Barbara. I went to one there, and we did have fun. Guys take note!

The strong cocktails and crowd are at Joe's Cafe

Beachy restaurants for daytime food and drinks: 

I like kayaking. If you launch from the Santa Barbara Harbor, you won't have to fight swells like when you launch from the beach. You can check out all the boats and yachts, get a little exercise, and look for sea life. The Santa Barbara Sailing Center makes it easy. 

If anyone fears the water, consider a hike during the day. For out of towners, I recommend Inspiration Point It's pretty easy to find, a well marked trail and has other people on it usually in case you get a little lost. You get to cross a small creek (when it's not dry), see a variety of plants and eventually get a decent view of the city. 

If you're anti-sweat, shop. State Street can keep you busy all day. Cool off with ice cream from McConnell's Fine Ice Creams. My favorite is peppermint stick, but others swear allegiance to the island coconut flavor.

And if you go to the new Santa Barbara Public Market, I HIGHLY recommend getting cupcakes at Enjoy Cupcakes. Trust me on this. 

1. The Painted Cabernet (attraction)
  2. Santa Barbara Zoo (attraction)
  3. Cafe Zaytoon (restaurant)
  4. Blush Restaurant + Lounge (restaurant)
  5. Joe's Cafe (restaurant)
  6. Shoreline Beach Cafe (restaurant)
  7. Boathouse at Hendry's Beach (restaurant)
  8. East Beach Grill (restaurant)
  9. Brophy Brothers (restaurant)
  10. Beachside Bar Cafe (restaurant)
  11. Santa Barbara Harbor (attraction)
  12. Inspiration Point (attraction)
  13. State Street (attraction)
  14. McConnell's Fine Ice Creams (restaurant)
  15. Santa Barbara Public Market (attraction)
  16. Enjoy Cupcakes (restaurant)
  17. The Grapeseed Company (attraction)

Kelsey from Los Angeles

Two years ago we did my friend's Bachelorette party in Santa Barbara so I'll tell you what our night consisted of and then I'll give you some other suggestions for daytime activities. 

Quick note: We planned our night around not wanting to have to rely on transportation, so all of the venues are within less than 5 minutes walking distance from each other. 

We started out the night by carbo-loading (in preparation for a night of unapologetic excessive drink buying and receiving) at Pascucci Restaurant
(website): it's tempting to fill up on the delicious garlic bread, but leave room for the Tre Formaggio pasta and rasbperry mojito. 

Then we made our way to the Sandbar (website), a tequila bar where chips and salsa are plentiful and the drinks are solid, but it won't drain your cash supply too early in the night. There are fire pits and pillowed booths outside, a small dance floor inside, and a vibe that screams southern California beach party. 

We finished off our night at EOS Lounge (website). This definitely has the typical nightclub feel, sleek decor, dim blue lighting, good house music and a patio for when you need a break from dancing. It's also very easy to socialize and meet new people since it isn't too expansive and the patio has an intimate seating arrangement.  

As far as daytime activities go, there are so many options, especially when Santa Barbara blesses her inhabitants with the temperate Mediterranean-like weather she is known for. 

Where to begin? Just walking up and down State Street is a must; there are limitless options for food, both in numbers and in diversity, shopping that ranges from Kitson to local eco-fashion, and thoroughly entertaining people-watching. 

For breakfast, I hear fantastic things about Tupelo Junction Cafe (menu), but if you want something light/healthy, Blenders in the Grass (website) is my favorite smoothie spot. If you're craving something sweet, stop by Crushcakes & Cafe (menu. on Anacapa Street) for cupcakes, or McConnell's Fine Ice Creams (menu, two locations in SB), which is a famous ice cream company native to Santa Barbara (their Island Coconut is like no other). For spectacular Thai food, TAP Thai (website) is the spot (3130 State St.); items on the must-try list are their corn cakes and Thai Tea Lychee. And finally, if you're looking for fresh authentic Mexican as only Santa Barbara can pull off, you need not look further than Los Agaves (website, two locations in SB); basically everything on the menu is delicious so you can't go wrong.

If it's hot enough, head to Leadbetter Beach & Park for plenty of sand, surf and grass/picnic tables. If you're looking to get out on the water, Santa Barbara Sailing Center (website) offers sunset cruises, kayak rentals and paddle boarding (all at affordable prices). Some other spots I haven't personally experienced but I know come highly recommended are Soho Restaurant & Music Club (website) for live music, drinks and food, and The Painted Cabernet (website), where the entire class paints a picture and drinks wine (requires reservations, $40/person).

Lastly, something that is pretty unique is the Goleta Butterfly Grove (website) where you can take a stroll through trees adorned with clusters of monarch butterflies. Although not a typical Bachelorette weekend activity, it is definitely "outside of the box" and a bit too whimsical not to mention. 

1. Pascucci Restaurant (restaurant)
  2. Sandbar (attraction)
  3. EOS Lounge (attraction)
  4. State Street (attraction)
  5. Tupelo Junction Cafe (restaurant)
  6. Blenders in the Grass (restaurant)
  7. Crushcakes & Cafe (restaurant)
  8. McConnell's Fine Ice Creams (restaurant)
  9. TAP Thai (attraction)
  10. Los Agaves (restaurant)
  11. Leadbetter Beach & Park (attraction)
  12. Santa Barbara Sailing Center (attraction)
  13. Soho Restaurant & Music Club (attraction)
  14. The Painted Cabernet (attraction)
  15. Goleta Butterfly Grove (attraction)

Ryan from Redondo Beach

You guys are going to have a blast!

If you're spending time in the city of Santa Barbara be sure to get breakfast at Andersen's Danish Bakery & Restaurant. If the weather is nice, which it will be, get a spot outside and people watch.

If you want to venture up to the Santa Ynez area there are a ton of wineries and tasting rooms to check out. I'd recommend going to the small town of Los Olivos. There are a bunch of tasting rooms with a few hundred feet of each other that you can walk to. Check out Blair Fox Cellars and Dragonette Cellars. If you guys want awesome cup cakes go to Saarloos And Sons Tasting Room.

As far as getting out on a vineyard I'd recommend anything on Foxen Canyon Road. Enjoy!

1. Santa Barbara (city)
  2. Santa Ynez (city)
  3. Los Olivos (city)
  4. Saarloos And Sons Tasting Room (attraction)
  5. Foxen Canyon Road (attraction)
  6. Andersen's Danish Bakery & Restaurant (restaurant)
  7. Blair Fox Cellars (attraction)
  8. Dragonette Cellars (attraction)

Mallory from Bermuda Dunes, California

Santa Barbara is a great place to host a bachelorette party. For nearby wine tasting - start at Municipal Winemakers and cruise around the 'funk zone' for other awesome wineries (all walking distance). For dancing go to Tonic Night ClubWildcat Lounge (trashy but fun), EOS Lounge, and The Savoy. Great hiking in SB too, if that is something you are interested in. 

1. Municipal Winemakers (attraction)
  2. Tonic Night Club (attraction)
  3. Wildcat Lounge (attraction)
  4. EOS Lounge (attraction)
  5. The Savoy (attraction)

Andreas from Sandviken, Sweden

I can't help you with everything, but I can suggest a few things:

Painting and wine at The Painted Cabernethttp://www.paintedcabernet.com/

There are a lot of places for wine tasting in the city:

http://www.urbanwinetrailsb.com

Beaches:

1. The Painted Cabernet (attraction)
  2. Butterfly Beach (attraction)
  3. Hendry's Beach (attraction)

Lance from Inglewood, California