Michelle
Ottawa, Ontario

San Sebastian, Bilbao

Better to do north region from Barcelona or Madrid?

Am contemplating visiting the north of Spain instead of South - would like to see coast, wine regions?  Good idea?  Better to travel to from Madrid or Barcelona?   Style is laid back, travelling last 2 weeks of August.

Barcelona is not laid back in August period huge crowds. But probably worth it if you have not seen it. I would suggest if you want laid back that you spend a couple days in Barcelona and then travel to Cadaqués. It is a lovely laid back Beach town. On the way you can go to the Dalí Theatre-Museum, and when you are there you can take A5 minute ride $2 house in Port Ligues.

1. Barcelona (city)
  2. Cadaqués (attraction)
  3. Dalí Theatre-Museum (attraction)

Penelope from Phoenix

We also visited San Sebastian and Bilbao  from Barcelona (by car) with a few fabulous days in Riojawine region along the way. You could easily make the same trip from Madrid. With two weeks you could even visit both Madrid and Barcelona.

1. San Sebastian (city)
  2. Bilbao (city)
  3. Barcelona (city)
  4. Rioja (state)
  5. Madrid (city)

Melissa from Massachusetts

I haven't been to Madrid, but on our honeymoon my husband and I traveled to San Sebastian from Barcelona and it was an easy train ride!