• Lise Wilson
  • "Pros and cons of traveling by myself"

Lise Wilson

Huntsville, Alabama

Pros and cons of traveling by myself

I am interested in going to Dan Miguel de Allende next Jan. but what to know if it is safe to travel by myself as I cannot find any tours that are offered. I was told it was not safe as I could be hit by random gun fire in the streets. There looks like a nice hotel called Rosewood that I would be interested in but also don't mind staying at a cheaper but nice hotel. Any input would be appreciated.

• Rosewood (hotel)

San Miguel de Allende Gto. 37700 01 415 152 9700

• San Miguel de Allende (city)

San Miguel de Allende

• Casa de la Cuesta (hotel)

32 Cuesta de San José San Miguel de Allende Gto. 37729 01 415 154 4324

• Janelle Kennedy

San Miguel de Allende is quite safe, as is that general region in west-central Mexico. The dangerous no-go zones in Mexico are in the north (the states that border the USA: Sonora, Baja Norte, Chihuahua, Coahuila, Nuevo Leon), parts of Sinaloa (Los Mochis, Culiacan) and Michoacán, and the poorest neighbourhoods of Mexico City. The rest of the country is fine and if you don't go looking for trouble then trouble won't find you.

An American woman travelling alone through Mexico should have a great experience if she follows the proper precautions and uses basic common sense, e.g. not dressing provocatively, not drinking too much or doing judgment-impairing drugs, staying in well-lit, well-trafficked areas, not carrying money or valuables in plain view, not visiting ATMs at night, etc.

• Lise W.

Lise W.

Thank you for your input. I am planning to go in Jan. for a week and look forward to seeing an area of a country that I have never been to before. · (0 likelikes)

• ·
    • ·

Send Janelle a Thank You Note