Lise
Huntsville

San Miguel de Allende, Tours

Pros and cons of traveling by myself

I am interested in going to Dan Miguel de Allende next Jan. but what to know if it is safe to travel by myself as I cannot find any tours that are offered. I was told it was not safe as I could be hit by random gun fire in the streets. There looks like a nice hotel called Rosewood that I would be interested in but also don't mind staying at a cheaper but nice hotel. Any input would be appreciated.

Janelle from Charleston

San Miguel de Allende is quite safe, as is that general region in west-central Mexico.  The dangerous no-go zones in Mexico are in the north (the states that border the USA: Sonora, Baja Norte, Chihuahua, Coahuila, Nuevo Leon), parts of Sinaloa (Los Mochis, Culiacan) and Michoacán, and the poorest neighbourhoods of Mexico City.  The rest of the country is fine and if you don't go looking for trouble then trouble won't find you.

An American woman travelling alone through Mexico should have a great experience if she follows the proper precautions and uses basic common sense, e.g. not dressing provocatively, not drinking too much or doing judgment-impairing drugs, staying in well-lit, well-trafficked areas, not carrying money or valuables in plain view, not visiting ATMs at night, etc.

Teresa from Chicago, Illinois

Definitively exercise caution knowing your whereabouts all the time and being street smart like you will be if you travel to any city you are not familiar and by yourself.... carry a ray of sunshine every time you leave home.  You will be fine and fall in love whit this amazing city.    The Rosewood is the top hotel in town, superb service and although high-end it truly feels like Mexico. San Miguel de Allende has many great boutique hotels and a very broad range of styles of hoteles and B&B... as two great example of this range is the chic Hotel Matilda and  and La Casa de la Noche B& B, that occupies a house that was brothel in the late 1800's. So it really depends on your style of traveling and budget.  Lovely travels to you!

1. Rosewood (hotel)
  2. San Miguel de Allende (city)
  3. Hotel Matilda (hotel)

Ed from Salt Lake City

I would stop listening to whomever told you a Mexican city, especially this one, might be unsafe.  Especially compared to American cities.  I guarantee there is more gunfire where you live, or I live. Also far fewer people hit by texting drivers in San Miguel. No stop lights or stop signs. Topes at the cross-walks. The the Rosewood is a nice hotel.  It better be be for the price. You can stay there for a night, or somewhere else for up to a month for about the same price. Many options for accommodations.  We usually opt for a VRBO property for 1-4 weeks in a walking radius of the Parrochia for a price in-between.

There are occasional fireworks exploding...but only if it happens to be anybody's birthday.  ;)  Go to the English Library (Biblioteca) and you will find plenty of tours, information, and other things to do.

1. Rosewood (hotel)

Manuel from Saltillo, Mexico

Of course is safe, as long as you don´t behave badly and start picking up fights. Just use your common sense. San Miguel de Allende is full of expats and the city is very friendly with foreigners and tourists. The bad news on TV isn´t fair at all to the regular day by day exierience the majority of the people get. So don´t be afraid, get excited and visit Mexico.

Jaime from Tampa

I was in San Miguel de Allende this past Summer (stayed at the Rosewood, although Matilda Terraza is fantastic as well) and found it incredibly safe, additionally there are very inexpensive taxis and Uber as well, in case you want to use for nighttime trips to and fro.  

1. San Miguel de Allende (city)
  2. Rosewood (hotel)
  3. Matilda Terraza (restaurant)

Ann E from Baton Rouge

I would agree with Mary Ann E. I just got back from San Miguel de Allende 2 days ago and I have never witnessed such a thing in my 3 yrs going. There are lots of firecrackers especially on Saturdays for weddings that maybe could be confused with firecrackers. There are tons of fabulous B&bs there if you don't want to stay in a hotel but the Rosewood is very nice. Again I agree with Mary Ann E. Casa de la Cuesta is a beautiful spot with really friendly host and they have a fantastic mask museum! I do hope you go and enjoy yourself!

1. San Miguel de Allende (city)
  2. Rosewood (hotel)
  3. Casa de la Cuesta (hotel)

Mary Ann from La Jolla

I've not heard of anyone feeling unsafe in SMA, nor of random gunfire.  A friend went on her own, rented a small cottage, took art lessons for two weeks, enjoyed the experience immensely.  Check out  Casa de la Cuestaas an alternative to the Rosewood.

1. Casa de la Cuesta (hotel)

Tess from Columbus

All of the previous answers are spot on. I find it good to ask the people who tell you not to go when they were last there. Usually they respond that they have never been there and just heard that it wasn't safe. Of course, take the same safety precautions that you do whenever you travel. Enjoy!