San Luis Obispo

Where to stay outside of San Luis Obispo for Cal Poly graduation

It's official -- there are no hotel rooms left in San Luis Obispo for the weekend of the Cal Poly graduation, not even your run of the mill motel.  Do you have any suggestions for what other surrounding cities would be nice to stay in that's not too far from campus?  I would actually love to stay on the beach!  And if you could suggest actual hotels to stay in, that would be even more awesome.

It'll just be my beau and I, and we'd prefer a bed and breakfast or a boutique hotel over a large chain hotel, but we're open to all suggestions because we can't be too picky now :P  Thanks in advance!

JR from Manhattan Beach

Congrats to your brother! You should look at Avila Beach. It' not too far from San Luis Obispo (about 20 mins i think). We spent a weekend up there for a wedding and rented a townhome off of VRBO. It was great. We stayed in this same condo complex http://www.vrbo.com/139155 but in a differnt unit (with worse views actually). There are a lot of 1 bedroom places too, but you should get your parents and everyone staying in one place! Family fun time! I'm sure you can find AirBnb and just stay in town because everything is SO close and walkable. There are a lot of wine tasting rooms and a few restaurants as well. The largest one in town is the Custom House Restaurant Avila Beach. If you're there on a Friday night in summer, make sure you make some time to see the farmers market along Front Street. It's a night time farmers market with tons of grub and live music. We unknowingly caught it, and it was awesome. 

1. Avila Beach (city)
  2. San Luis Obispo (city)
  3. Custom House Restaurant Avila Beach (restaurant)

Beverly from San Luis Obispo

I did all four years of my undergrad at Cal Poly and am currently a grad student there, so trust me, I've experienced and witnessed the insanity of trying to accommodate family and friends during graduation.

During my undergrad graduation, my brother didn't mind crashing on my living room floor, but my parents stayed at a cute bed and breakfast in Los Osos called  Baywood inn.  They experienced the same issue you did with finding a place in San Luis Obispo and that was the closest they could find and it wasn't bad, so that's something to look into.

Morro Bay's just a little further up north and there are plenty of cute inns and bed and breakfasts there as well!

1. Baywood inn (attraction)

Avery from Berkeley

Check out The Madonna Inn!  Such fun rooms and an over all cool spot.  Even if you can't get a room there, it's still worth a visit.  The restaurant's great to dine at and the gardens are otherworldly.  They're so awesome, in fact, that it was featured on The Bachelor and The Simpsons did a episode at a hotel that was based on The Madonna Inn!

1. The Madonna Inn (hotel)