Debbie from San Francisco asked

Things to do and must-try restaurants in the area

My SLO trip is creeping up on me and I still haven't decided what to do!  The main reason for my weekend trip is for my brother's Cal Poly graduation, but I do need to eat and find things to do.  I would've liked to check out Firestone Grill, but I'm not even going to try on graduation weekend. 

Are there any other restaurants in the area that I must try (doesn't have to be in SLO proper) and things that I must check out?  I've got some free time there and am open to anything!

San Luis Obispo

Brew from Manhattan Beach

On the casual end, the Firestone Grill has great trip tip sandwiches (a central coast specialty).  A cool place to go for a hike/walk is Montana de Oro State Park which is a drive out of town, but very beautiful.

Thanks, Brew! I'm actually staying in Los Osos and coincidentally, I actually went to the Montana de Oro State Park years ago and loved it. Thanks for reminding of it! I think I may have to stop by and say hello to some sea anemones :)

I now have a leftover half a Firestone Grill tri tip sandwich and half a rack of BBQ ribs sitting in my fridge at home.... :D Thanks for the suggestion, Brew, it was tasty!

Brew
Ha. No worries.

1. Firestone Grill (restaurant)
  2. Montana de Oro State Park (attraction)
Beverly from San Luis Obispo

You know, the wait at  Firestone Grill isn't actually that bad.  It's a long line, but you can get in and out in about 10-15 minutes.  The issue is seating if you don't mind taking your food elsewhere.

There are actually a bunch of good restaurants in that area.  I really like  Thai Classic across the street and there are some fancier places literally around the corner, like  Koberl At Blue for American and  Buona Tavola for Italian.

Lots of good food around there and it's also a fun area to walk around!

Thanks for the suggestion, Beverly! The Firestone Grill line looked daunting at first, but it moved quickly. We also managed to get seats without any wait. One thing to take into account, though, was that we went at around 4. I sure things would've been different at about noon or 6 PM! :P

Beverly
That's awesome to hear! Between 3-4 is probably the best time to go!!!

1. Firestone Grill (restaurant)
  2. Thai Classic (attraction)
  3. Koberl At Blue (restaurant)
  4. Buona Tavola (restaurant)
Melanie from Los Angeles

I love SLO! Here's a few things to do:

-Have a friendly, casual meal at the healthy/organic-focused  Big Sky Cafe 

-Take a seat on the pretty creekside deck at  Novo Restaurant & Lounge and try some unique Brazilian/Asian food

-Visit the wineries of the nearby Edna Valley -- try Claiborne & Churchill Winery, Kynsi Winery, Tolosa Winery and Sextant.

-Pick up the Chamber of Commerce’s tour map, called the Path of History -- it's two hours on foot, 20 minutes by car, and shows you San Luis Obispo from the late 1700s through the 1940s

Go shopping in the heart of town -- SLO has some of the cutest boutiques for clothes and jewelry you'll find in Central California. 

Have a great time at your brother's graduation!

Thanks so much for the suggestions, Melanie! Those restaurants and wineries sound great and I'm especially loving the sound of that historical walk! I'll have to figure that into my plans :)

It turns out that my brother's graduation banquet was actually at Edna Valley Vineyards, so I killed two birds with one stone there! So gorgeous. We tried to go to Novo post-graduation and it looked beautiful, but was packed, so we went to Eureka! instead, which is a fancy, tasty new burger place if you've never been. Also took your suggestion to shop ;) Thanks again, Melanie!

Melanie
Debbie, I'm so glad you made it to the wine country there -- and I've never been to Eureka, so that'll be my first stop when I'm next in town. :)

1. Big Sky Cafe (restaurant)
  2. Novo Restaurant & Lounge (restaurant)
  3. Edna Valley (attraction)
  4. Claiborne & Churchill Winery (attraction)
  5. Kynsi Winery (attraction)
  6. Tolosa Winery (attraction)
  7. Sextant (attraction)