San Juan

What's the best neighborhood in San Juan for a first time visitor?

I've never been to San Juan and I'm a little overwhelmed by all the hotel options. I'd like to stay in a hotel that is central and gives me good sense of what San Juan is like. I'd love to know where locals tell their friends to stay when they visit, and why those areas and hotels are special. thanks!

Miguel from Bayamon, Puerto Rico

To be honest with you, Old San Juan can be thoroughly visited in 1 or 2 days. If you really want to get know know our island, I would recommend spending time in Ponce, Rincón (Puerto Rico)/Aguadilla, visit the rainforest El Yunque National Forest, and top it all off with a couple of days in Culebra (which is an island east of Fajardo you can get to through a ferry). As for a place to stay, I would suggest a cheap hotel like the Verdanza in Isla Verde, Hyatt, or Embassy Suites because you really won't be spending much time at the hotel.

1. Old San Juan (neighborhood)
  2. Ponce (city)
  3. Rincón (Puerto Rico) (city)
  4. Aguadilla (city)
  5. El Yunque National Forest (attraction)
  6. Culebra (city)
  7. Fajardo (city)

Janna from San Juan

Hi. I suggest you stay in the Condado area which is near the beach and lots of restaurants and bars. Some hotels in the area are: La Concha A Renaissance Resort, Condado Vanderbilt Hotel, San Juan Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino & Best Western Plus Condado Palm. Enjoy!