Jeanne
Menifee

Jeanne from Menifee asked

Best places to pig out and explore in San Juan?

So I'm going to travel to SJ, Puerto Rico in a week with my gal friend. We will be there for a week. We've already planned to go to Culebra Island on my birthday, tropical trail rides, exploring the rainforest, and go shopping at plazas las Americas. Where else to go and eat? Thanks in advance!

San Juan

Eric from Tampa

In old San Juan, I really enjoyed Punto de Vista Restaurant & Baron this most recent trip. good food, nice staff, neat view. While at the Plaza las Americas, you really really really have to go eat at Tras-patio Bistro PuertorriqueñoChef Nassar does an amazing job with light personal touches on carribean favorites. I've eaten there many times, every time we visit the island. Always a good meal.

Another well worthwhile spot to eat is Casa Lola in Condado (sort of part of San Juan).The swordfish chop and seafood mamposteao was epic, I have no other way to describe it. Chef Trevino there was previously on Iron Chef America, and also used to be executive chef at Dragonfly restaurant in old San Juan (which is still a nice spot to hit)

Of course, no trip to Puerto Rico would be complete without visiting the Bacardi Distillery Entry and doing the factory tour. You can take the ferry from San Juan to go there, so its a nice trip. Its actually simpler to do that than drive there even if you have a rental car.

Now if you do have a rental car, another great fun spot to visit is Luquillo. Its got one of the nicest beaches Balneario la Monserrate  and has a huge strip of eatery kiosks out front. My picture doesn't really do it justice, the water is crystal clear and its a very quiet peaceful beach.

Other unique things to do that I enjoy there are the Arecibo Observatoryand the Parque Nacional Cavernas del Rio Camuybut both of those are further west so you'd either need a rental car, or find a tour bus to take you there. It is a magical place to visit (the whole island) which is why they call it La Isla del Encanto.

Hope that gives you ideas, definitely try pork pinchos somewhere on your trip, and drink some Gasolina as well (original flavor or sangriiia). If you take the ferry at the Puerto de San Juan to Catano to visit Bacardi, a sort of Gasolina "factory store" is there as well on the San Juan side. They have the Sangriiia frozen in a slushy machine there, worth trying (they give samples)All the pictures above other than Arecibo + the caves are from my trip just last week btw. Didn't visit either this time or it would have been fresh pictures :)

Jeanne
Thank you for the tips and especially including pictures. I'll definitely visit those places. How long were u there?

Eric
I was there for a week, like we do every year. We own a 2 bedroom timeshare at Club Cala las Palmas, in Humacao. We tend to travel all over the island when we're there, this year it was a little over 600 miles on the rental car for the week. That was actually a light week mile wise, but with us being on the southeast side of the island, a trip to Arecibo or Rincon is a lot of miles each way.

Eric
Totally forgot, if you want to visit an awesome bakery, Kasalta is perfect. They do sandwiches, soups, etc as well there. But the baked goods are amazing. Huge variety of pastries, some carribean style, other's more Basque style.

Jesus from Rio Grande (Puerto Rico)

Good place to eat, 15 min. to San Juan. Cataño is a small town with a lot to do. You have Casa Bacardi with the history of rum and 2 excellent local restaurants, they are not fancy but have a great flavor. # 1 Punto Sabroso - La Casa de los Rellenos, and # 2 Margarita's Restaurante Mexicano. Another place to visit is Gozalandia Waterfalls in San Sebastian town ( 2 hours from San Juan ) , is waterfall area with with tropical trail rides , you will enjoy it. 

Shelby from Scottsdale

Mamacitas Guest House! Super fun spot, perfect for a birthday :) Dinghy Dock was a really good place too. 

1. Mamacitas Guest House (restaurant)
  2. Dinghy Dock (restaurant)