Katie from Los Angeles asked

What's the best neighborhood in San Jose for a first time visitor?

I've never been to San Jose and I'm a little overwhelmed by all the hotel options. I'd like to stay in a hotel that is central and gives me good sense of what San Jose is like. I'd love to know where locals tell their friends to stay when they visit, and why those areas and hotels are special. thanks!

San Jose (California)

Vince

Hi

I recommend staying in Downtown San Jose

San Jose Marriott or Fairmont San Jose Hotel are both really nice. They are also walking distance to a lot of good restaurants and bars. 

I recommend visiting  Saint Pedro square and 2nd street in Downtown. Santana Rowshould also be on the top of your "must see" list.

Vince

1. Downtown San Jose (attraction)
  2. San Jose Marriott (hotel)
  3. Fairmont San Jose Hotel (hotel)
  4. Santana Row (attraction)
Brigitte

Hotel De Anza... is good... you are in walking distance to CalTrain to take to San Francisco  and you are in walking distance to a lot of eateries in Downtown San Jose. There is a great place to eat right around the corner called  San Pedro Square Market Bar... has a lot of little eateries and bars in two big buildings.

Kich
Downtown San Jose is the good place to say for the first time to visit. They have hotels from three to five star. They have museum for kids and technically for adults also have a lot of restaurants.

1. Downtown San Jose (attraction)
Anjali from San Jose

Priscilla

1. Willow Glen (attraction)
Dalia

If you want museums, etc, stay in downtown. With the recent closure of the Fairmont, I recommend the Marriott or the Hilton. If you would like to stay farther from downtown but in the midst of the Santana Row shopping district, stay there at Hotel Valencia.