Drew
Ojai

Drew from Ojai asked

Free things to do in San Jose?

Going to be in San Jose for work and I will have a free day. I want to check out the city, but don't want to spend too much money. What are the best things to do for free (or on the cheap) in San Jose? 

San Jose (California)

Jonathan from Los Angeles

Hey Drew,

I've got to admit thats a difficult question. I lived in San Jose for about a year and i cant think of to many fun things for free to be honest. Do you have a car to get around? 

If the answer to thats yes then the best places to visit are Los Gatos which is a nice area up close to the mountains. It has a lot of nice shops a old school movie theatre and its generally a nice place to spend a morning and afternoon wandering around. 

I would also recommend taking a trip out to Santa Cruzon the coast. I love this place and you need more than a day to feel you have seen it but its a fun place to visit. Its about a 25 minute drive from San Jose if the traffics good. Places to go here are - 

W Cliff Dr - its a few miles walk along a pathed coastline. You'll see the local sufers, wildlife and the houses along this stretch are amazing. Its a major highlight of this whole area.

Santa Cruz has 3 movie theatres - i recommend the Nickelodeon Theatre, A small old school town cinema.

Again if you have a car - SJ is only 45 mins or so from San Francisco 

If your all set on definitely staying in San Jose for the day then the one thing i would 100% do is go to BonChon Chicken in Sunnyvale. They have the best korean style fried chicken you'll ever find.

Santana Row has a lot of bars and restaurants and is decent for nightlife as is the town of campbell which is a little edgier.

I hope some of this help but if i was you and i had a car i'd be off to SF or Santa Cruz for the day then i'd goto Bon Chon Chicken :)

1. San Jose (city)
  2. Los Gatos (city)
  3. Santa Cruz (city)
  4. W Cliff Dr (attraction)
  5. Nickelodeon Theatre (attraction)
  6. San Francisco (city)
  7. BonChon Chicken (restaurant)
  8. Santana Row (attraction)
Harry

1. Intel Museum (attraction)
Phillip
Go up to the Lick Observatory, on top of Mount Hamilton. Great view of the bay area.

1. Lick Observatory (attraction)
  2. Mount Hamilton (natural feature)