Brooke
Chandler (Oklahoma), Oklahoma

San Gimignano, Florence

Any suggestions for wineries in and around San Gimignano?

My husband and I will be in Florence next summer and we hear that San Gimignano has some great wineries.  Being the wine lovers that we are, we have to go!  So we would love your input on great wineries, wine shops, or even restaurants that have great wine selections.

Also, if you can throw in any suggestions for attractions in San Gimignano or along the way, that would be wonderful, too (we're driving from Florence to San Gimignano and back). 

Stanley from Butte

Might I suggest the  Sovestro in Pogglo Winery?  It's one of the most beautiful wineries I've ever been to.  Not only do you get the scenery, but you get to taste amazing wine and food, get a great lesson in wine, and the people there are very nice.  This is a family-owned winery and my group personally got a tour from the husband.  When I went a couple of years ago, it was 25 euros a person and well worth it.  Look into it!

1. Sovestro in Pogglo Winery (attraction)

Carina from San Francisco

When I studied abroad in  Florence last year, I had a dream-like experience at a small, historic winery in  Chianti, Italy. I knew from the beginning of my drive up that I was about to enter the most authentic heart of Italy's wine country- think rolling hills covered in grapevines, surrounded by olive trees. The views were so awe-inspiring that I had to keep asking myself if it was a real place! When I finally did arrive on the grounds of the Principe Corsini - Villa le Corti, I knew I was in for a treat. It is set on a historic estate that has been preserved as one of Italy's national monuments. The estate, aside from housing the winery, also includes a villa and a gorgeous outdoor garden that you can tour and relax in, either before after your wine tasting experience. The guided wine tasting leads your group underground, through its antique cellars, where you will smell the bold, musky smell of its aging barrels. My tour guide was, of course, Italian but spoke English fluently, so I didn't miss a word of the precious history lesson, which is impressive as the winery dates back to the 16th century. The Corsini winery also produces their own olive oil, which you will get the chance to witness flowing into bottles, after being freshly pressed, during its production process (don't worry, you get to taste PLENTY of it as well!). 

We didn't get to eat lunch at the restaurant on the grounds, but, based on my out-of-this-world experience in the winery and tasting room alone, I would presume the food to be fantastic. 

I hope that this helps, and enjoy Tuscany! It's beautiful!

-Carina

2. Chianti (attraction)
  3. Principe Corsini - Villa le Corti (attraction)