kim

kim asked

best southern route ?

Hi we are 2 adults and a dog, we would like to drive the southern route for 4 days stopping in Gallup, New Mexico and maybe Dodge city, and or the petrified forest if possible and any other sights you might suggest along the way. Which route do you suggest ? thank you

San Francisco (California) Kansas City (Missouri)

I don't know about your plans. You either go I-80 E or I-40E. This is not a 4 day trip with 2 people and a dog. Carry 2-3 cases of water. Stay at La Quinta Inns. They are dog friendly. Leave at 4am each day.
I would drive from SF to Las Vegas. Stay at Sam's Town in Henderson. 
Then drive to Albuquerque, NM. Stay on the East Side of the city. 
Drive to Oklahoma City, OK.
Then to Kansas City.
On the road you can make hotel reservations on hotwire.com very easily. 
La Quinta is the best dog friendly chain. No dogs in dining area. Stop 1-2 hours to walk dog in rest areas. If you want to do sight seeing, then make it a 7-8 day trip.

kim
Hazel, thanks for the great advise. I think we will be taking the I 40 E route, and Sam's Town looks like a really nice place for us to stay. Thanks again ! -Kim