terry

terry from New York City asked

Comfortable and central hotel in SF not too expensive

I (live in Manhattan) and two friends/colleagues from China will be staying in SF for 3 nights. We want to be centrally located to explore SF by foot, etc -- see the sites, eat various cuisines, and enjoy simple pleasures. Any ideas for a hotel to fit this menu but not expensive? Also, where to go, what to see? I haven't been to SF in about 15 years and just want to help my friends and myself enjoy it.

San Francisco (California)

How exciting! I would try to stay in downtown, where there's tons to see and is equidistant to many other cool San Francisco neighborhoods.  The price of your hotel room really depends on when you're visiting, if there's a conference, etc, but generally, I'd recommend a Kimpton property.  You should look into Hotel TritonPrescott Hotel, a Kimpton HotelHotel Palomar San Francisco, and Hotel Monaco San Francisco, all Kimpton properties.  They're all unique boutique hotels!

How cool is this hot tub at Hotel Monaco?For things to do, this one kills two birds with one stone: definitely check out the Ferry Building, takes care of a tourist attraction that is worth visiting, as well as full of food! If you're there on a Thursday or Saturday afternoon, hit up their farmers market.

Any day that it's nice, you should visit Dolores Park. Stop off at the Bi-Rite Market to grab some picnic goods, Bi-Rite Creamery to get some ice cream (prepare for a long line), Ike's Place to get a sandwich (prepare for a long line or order online ahead of time), or El Farolito for a quesadilla suiza (or taco or burrito, but the suiza is my favorite) and sit and relax and picnic! To really get a taste for local flavor, you should come here on a weekend afternoon.

While near the park, you should also explore the Mission District. Tons of restaurants and shops. Walk on Mission, and Valencia between 16th and 24th St to see the most stores. Also walk on 16th and 24th St themselves. Tons of cool street art and good food.

These spots are loved by locals and travelers alike and are worth while spots to explore. Have fun! :)

1. Hotel Triton (hotel)
  2. Prescott Hotel, a Kimpton Hotel (hotel)
  3. Hotel Palomar San Francisco (hotel)
  4. Hotel Monaco San Francisco (hotel)
  5. Ferry Building (attraction)
  6. Dolores Park (attraction)
  7. Bi-Rite Market (attraction)
  8. Bi-Rite Creamery (restaurant)
  9. Ike's Place (restaurant)
  10. El Farolito (restaurant)
  11. Mission District (neighborhood)