Helen

Where should I visit if we have 4 days in SF at the end of March?

1. do we need reserveation to visit Alcatraz? 

2. Should we rent a car? 

3. Which restaurants do you recommend?

jessica from New York City

1. Reserve/buy your ticket to Alcatraz at least 2 weeks in advance or else you might not have a chance to check it out.

2. Don't rent a car unless you want to travel outside of San Francisco.

- Finding parking is difficult and can get really $$$. Plus, you wouldn't be able to leave anything in your car because your window WILL be broken into and your stuff gone (no exaggeration it's a big problem here) . 

Best advice is to walk and download the "Uber" App for quick and easy transportation when walking is too far for where you want to go (yellow taxis are sometimes hard to find).

3. My favorite spots tend to be great evening date spots not cheap but not crazy expensive either depending on what you order. You can dress up or dress down (I've seen both in all these places).

• Italian food: Amarena (Russian Hill) the gnocchi is divine.
  • Steak: Osso Steakhouse (nob hill),
  • Dim Sum: Yank Sing (but if you want more local and for cheap try "DDelicious Dim Sum" 752 Jackson st, Chinatown.  It's literally a whole in the wall but the best fresh and price for dim sum)
  • Greek: Kokkari Estiatorio (Financial District), best lamb chops I've ever had in my life hands down
  • Wine bar with great cheese pairings: Hidden Vine (Financial District), Mission Cheese (in the mission) it's cheaper and very hipster but great for people watching, get there early so you can sit outside

People here love to review restaurants so checkout Yelp.com to find exactly what you'd like to try.

1. Alcatraz (attraction)
  2. Amarena (restaurant)
  3. Osso Steakhouse (restaurant)
  4. Yank Sing (restaurant)
  5. Delicious Dim Sum (restaurant)
  6. Kokkari Estiatorio (restaurant)
  7. Hidden Vine (restaurant)
  8. Mission Cheese (restaurant)

Valerie from Los Angeles

Unfortunately, Alcatraz is booked months and months in advance! 

I would advise not renting a car, San Francisco is a walkable city. There's also BART, cabs, and Uber options :) I'm from the Bay Area and visited SF plenty of times and to this day, find it hard to drive in the city. I stick to public transportation.

For places to eat, I went to Kokkari Estiatorio last weekend and loved it! I also really like Boulevard and Front Porch (really good Cajun food). 

1. Alcatraz (attraction)
  2. Kokkari Estiatorio (restaurant)
  3. Boulevard (restaurant)
  4. Front Porch (restaurant)

Jon from Kalispell

The city is building a NEW Exploratorium Museum on the Warf (Not sure if it is complete or not). This would be a definite for me, also the San Francisco Museum of Modern Art  looks spectacular (also never been).  Here's something different.  If you rent a car drive N. 30 min. to Mount Tamalpais on Sunday and enjoy a sitting meditation at the Green Gulch Farm Zen Center.  It's only sunday mornings but it is on the beach and a pretty drive!  There is a wonderful 45 min. lecture after the sit and herbal tea to follow.  You can walk the grounds / temple and appreciate nature, even if it's raining!

1. San Francisco Museum of Modern Art (attraction)
  2. Mount Tamalpais (attraction)
  3. Green Gulch Farm Zen Center (attraction)

Emi from San Francisco

1. You definitely need Alcatraz tickets in advance! If they are sold out, you can get them as part of a city package.
2. Don't get a car if you'll be in the city -- use the bus, a trolley pass, or take Uber! Your first ride will be free up to $25 with code: UberontheGo.
3. My complete guide of restaurants can be found here!! http://welltraveledwife.com/2014/04/sf-food-guide.html

1. Alcatraz (attraction)

Abbie from Kingston, Rhode Island

I wouldn't rent a car in SF because they have a lot of public transportation that's easy to us there. I would look into getting a reservation for Alcatraz- it's an amazing visit if you can fit it in! I would definitely walk around the streets on Haight St/Ashbury St- it's really cool shopping and people watching.  I'd also show them Lombard Streetand possibly the Full House house if your kids like that show. 

1. Alcatraz (attraction)
  2. Haight St (attraction)
  3. Ashbury St (attraction)
  4. Lombard Street (attraction)

Angela from San Francisco

Yes you need reservations for Alcatraz, but it isn't booked months in advance only a few days or maybe a week or two depending on the time of year. I went last Friday and didn't get tickets until Tuesday of that week. The sign at the ticket counter Friday morning said tickets were sold out until Monday. You get the point. Look now and I bet you will have no problem getting them.  

I wouldn't recommend a car either. You'll pay too much to park and it isn't a good city for tourist to drive in. 

Also, Calzone's Pizza Cucina in North Beach has great food in a fun setting if you like Italian.

1. Alcatraz (attraction)
  2. Calzone's Pizza Cucina (restaurant)