Paula
Belo Horizonte, Brazil

Where are the best places in SF for a woman to shop?

Where can I make good and smart purchases in San Francisco? Women clothes, make up, creams, etc!

Kristal from San Francisco

Hi Paula, 

I'm not sure what you mean by good and smart, but the following are some options:

I notice you are from Brazil so if you are looking to do major shopping at brand name retailers, you can head to Union Square and Westfield San Francisco Centre, there you will find everything from Victoria's Secret to Sephora to Nordstrom to Gucci. 

For discount stores, you can also head to that way, you will find Nordstrom Rack, Marshalls, Ross and TJ Maxx. 

If you are looking to load up on creams and stuff from brands like Dove, you can head to any Target, CVS or walgreens. Target is usually a little cheaper.

For thrift stores you can head to Haight St, you will find all sorts of funky stores. 

For boutiques head to Union St between Steiner St and Franklin St.

Hayes Valley also has a few cute shops, I like Azalea Boutique, which also has a store in the mission. 

Happy shopping. If you have any other questions just comment on my answer and I'll try and give you a more tailored response. 

Best,

Kristal

1. Union Square (attraction)
  2. Westfield San Francisco Centre (attraction)
  3. Haight St (attraction)
  4. Union St (attraction)
  5. Steiner St (attraction)
  6. Franklin St (attraction)
  7. Hayes Valley (neighborhood)
  8. Azalea Boutique (attraction)

C from Austin (Texas)

Barneys New York at Union Square is always fabulous for makeup/creams. Staff is helpful without being pushy...head downstairs for a topnotch experience. And don't miss the opp to pick up a new scent too.

If you're more diy style, then Sephora on Union Square is also great and all the prices are listed, so you can find what you want at the price you want to spend. The staff is knowledgeable, but I'd caution being "over sold" by an enthusiasm for one product over another based on staff preference only (no hard sales here either, just a genuine love of all things ooey and gooey).  On the plus side - you can try everything without any help and you can ask for samples of everything.

Clothing - simple, anything in Hayes Valley or Marina District will be great and boutique, maybe still 'brand' so beware if you're looking for something more interesting and unique though.

Westfield is great for a one-stop and Nordies is the place for creams/makeup then

1. Barneys New York (attraction)
  2. Sephora (attraction)
  3. Hayes Valley (neighborhood)
  4. Marina District (neighborhood)

Krista from San Francisco

Hi Paula,

A few personal favorite boutiques to share with you as others have mentioned Target, Westfield San Francisco Centre (the usual chain stores) & Union Square already:

• Two Skirts A mix of designers, very on trend.
  • Ambiance A fun place to poke your head into, they've got everything from shoes and statement jewelry to clothing.
  • y&i clothing boutique Skewed toward a younger, trendy demographic, this boutique carries contemporary labels.
  • GALA Boutique I *love* this small shop, and the streamlined pieces they carry. 
  • Heidi Says Shoes High end shoes by various designers
  • REBECCA MINKOFF Known for her bags, she also has great blazers and shoes.
  • Love & Luxe Neat jewelry & other baubles/gifts by local artisans
  • Lush Cosmetics for soaps and creams
  • Benefit Cosmetics Boutique Benefit is well known around the world, but hails from SF. If you haven't been to a location before, now is the time to go. :)
  • Toss Designs I recent scooped up some great creams made in small batches in SF here. I brought them to Rome as gifts, and they were a hit!

Happy Shopping :)

1. Westfield San Francisco Centre (attraction)
  2. Union Square (attraction)
  3. Two Skirts (attraction)
  4. Ambiance (attraction)
  5. y&i clothing boutique (attraction)
  6. GALA Boutique (attraction)
  7. Heidi Says Shoes (attraction)
  8. REBECCA MINKOFF (attraction)
  9. Love & Luxe (attraction)
  10. Lush Cosmetics (attraction)
  11. Benefit Cosmetics Boutique (attraction)
  12. Toss Designs (attraction)