Xiaowan asked

What is the best way of transportation in SF with a baby?

Hi, I have planned a 4 day trip to SF. This is my 2nd time to SF, I booked the hotel at fishman wharf. I'm traveling with my family which is including a one year old baby. I plan to visit a couple places, the bridge and the other side of the bridge, ocean side etc. My question is do I need to rent a car, a bike or take taxi? If I take taxi, do they have car seat? Thx! 

Kristal from San Francisco

Xiaowan, 

If you plan on doing a lot of out-of-city travel I would definitely recommend renting a car for the day you can get a zip car. If not uber will work for around the city.

Best of luck!

Gina from Belmont, California

Hi! Cabs don't usually have carseats in them, but you can take an Uber if you bring your own carseat. Also, Zipcar or GetAround are great options for driving yourself around 

Paul from Nevada City

There are companies that rent baby gear (car seats, cribs, strollers) for travelers. Try: Traveling Baby Company (San Francisco). They'll deliver to your hotel or you can pick up. The fees seem pretty reasonable for the convenience.

A lot of crowded indoor S.F. attractions (especially at Fisherman's Wharf) are tough places to maneuver or park strollers, so I'd personally go with a baby carrier over a stroller. Can you bring yours? But for parks (Golden Gate Park, Crissy Field, Presidio), strollers would be great. 

As for transportation ... if you don't want to stand around waiting for a ride, you can't beat Uber. Since S.F. Muni busses and cable cars are often crowded, I'd stay away from that with a baby.

Josh from Baton Rouge

Uber.  Just download the app.

Lillian

Hi Xiaowan, I would recommend that you utilize Uber. Download the application on your phone, and utilize Uber to get yourself from place to place. This will be easiest and is cheaper and more convenient than a taxi. 

Lynn

Put the baby in a backpack/papoose & go: buses, trolleys, cable cars...