Melissa

What breakfast spots are must-eat in SF?

Drew from Angelika Film Center & Cafe

I'm a fan of Plow.  Great ambience.  Farm-to-table cuisine.  I think they only do breakfast/lunch, so they are a specialist operation.  It gets very busy on the weekends, so be sure to come early. 

1. Plow (restaurant)

I don't know about breakfast specifically because I'm usually too busy or asleep to go out for it, but I do love me a weekend brunch and know a few good spots for that! 

Word of advice: try to go to all of these as close to opening as possible because these are all considered SF's best by locals and get very crowded with up to 1-2 hour waits (and yes, there are a surprising amount of people in SF willing to wait that long for breakfast/brunch).  I actually haven't been to a couple of these because I don't like waiting, but I've heard and read so much about them over the years that I know exactly what to order when I finally do get there early enough.

• Dottie's True Blue Cafe -- most famous for their French toast, pancakes, and corn bread. Make sure to slather with jalapeno jelly!
  • Mama's -- also famous for their French toast, pancakes and homemade jelly PLUS Monte Cristo and eggs benny!
  • Brenda's French Soul Food -- I think they only serve beignets, but several different kinds of stuffed one. Tiny spot that people flock to, so the wait can get extra long.
  • Foreign Cinema -- French toast, homemade pop tarts, awesome cocktails. This weekend brunch actually takes reservations, though there's about a 2 month wait.  If you don't have reservations, your best bet is just to come early.
  • Mission Beach Cafe -- They serve clown-sized mimosas in a ton of different flavors.
  • Zazie -- Gingerbread pancakes, and "French Tahiti" and "La Mer Benedict" are what they're most popular for.
  • The Butler and The Chef -- Love this place.  Really good French toast and eggs benny.  Really good everything actually.
  • Nopa -- just came here for the first time over the weekend and they were so good! They have traditional brunch fare options, but I got their goat cheese bread pudding, poached duck egg in smokey tomato sauce and split a burger with a friend.  Looks like they have amazing cocktails, too. I think they only serve brunch on weekends.
  • AQ Restaurant & Bar -- this is a fairly new'ish spot, maybe a couple years old and hasn't become known as a go-to place for brunch yet, so it wouldn't be crowded during their weekend brunch. I love their monkey balls and they have creative Bloody Marys if you're into those.  This is definitely a hidden gem for brunch.

By the way, save for AQ (though it is close to all the action), these are all in awesome neighborhoods with plenty to see before and after :)

1. Dottie's True Blue Cafe (restaurant)
  2. Mama's (restaurant)
  3. Brenda's French Soul Food (restaurant)
  4. Mission Beach Cafe (restaurant)
  5. Zazie (restaurant)
  6. The Butler and The Chef (restaurant)
  7. Nopa (restaurant)
  8. AQ Restaurant & Bar (restaurant)
  9. Foreign Cinema (restaurant)

Jason from Los Angeles

I love love love the brunch buffet at Farmerbrown Restaurant. It's right between Union Square and the Tenderloin, so it's easy to get to (even if those neighborhoods aren't the greatest).

If you're into grits, fried chicken and gravy, and an all-you-can-eat situation, this is $22 well spent.

1. Farmerbrown Restaurant (restaurant)
  2. Union Square (attraction)
  3. Tenderloin (neighborhood)

Saade from Boston

Check out The Ramp, located in the Dogpatch area. The bartender recommended huevos rancheros with churizo and avocados, so I pulled the trigger and got them. If you're a meat eater ----->Wow - absolutely delighted. Also, it's right on the water, nice views (and big boats), great bloody mary's. The thing to do apparently is to get a momosa and split it with friends/significant other in the outside seating area.

Another sneaky awesome dive bar with a 5 star chef and ping pong table is called Tee Off Bar, on the other side of the peninsula. This is a place with Darth Vader Pinata's hanging from the ceiling, $3 MHL, and gourmet mac 'n cheese. #Noms

Also, if you have time, there's an awesome hiking trail near  Tee Off Bar with a great view of the golden gate bridge. Golden Gate Hike Photo

Great city, great food! Enjoy! 

Best,

@SaadeBoston

1. The Ramp (attraction)
  2. Tee Off Bar (attraction)

Shannon

I like Beach Street Grillthe  pancakes are amazing. And Mission Beach Cafe for their mimosas!

1. Beach Street Grill (restaurant)
  2. Mission Beach Cafe (restaurant)

Mindi from Philadelphia

We recently had a great breakfast a B. Patisserie in the Pacific Heights neighborhood.  Excellent pastries and Four Barrel coffee.

1. B. Patisserie (restaurant)
  2. Pacific Heights (neighborhood)