Melissa

Melissa from Los Angeles asked

What are the best kid-friendly activities in SF?

What are the best kid-friendly activities in SF?  Will be there for a long weekend in July, with a 6 year old (who has never been to SF).

Fun!  A few of the places that I loved as a kid may not be there anymore (RIP, FAO Schwartz and giant Sanrio store), but plenty of the classic spots are still there and several new things have popped up!

Have fun!  It's going to be gorgeous this weekend :)

Tiffany
Fantastic answer!

Thanks, Tiffany!

Melissa
So helpful!! Thanks Debbie :) The hardest part will be choosing what to do off this list -- there's a month's worth of activities here! Awesome list.

Ha! I think you could do most of this stuff in three days. A lot of it is just areas to walk around :)

Melissa
Oh - one more question. Is Chinatown safe / appropriate for kids? I think the sensory overload would be a blast for her. Also would like to take her to ride a trolley car :)

Oh, Chinatown is super safe! Went to school there from K-12 and my parents felt it was safe enough for me to walk to the Powell St BART station and take the train home by myself starting in about middle school. Tons of people around from early morning to about dusk with a good mix of locals and tourists and your daughter will probably love all the colorful stores there. One of the cable car lines actually goes through Chinatown, so maybe you can take that!

1. Pier 39 (attraction)
  2. Aquarium of the Bay (attraction)
  3. Fisherman's Wharf (attraction)
  4. Exploratorium (attraction)
  5. The Walt Disney Family Museum (attraction)
  6. Alamo Square (attraction)
  7. Painted Ladies (attraction)
  8. Dolores Park (attraction)
  9. Golden Gate Park (attraction)
  10. Japanese Tea Garden (attraction)
  11. California Academy of Sciences (attraction)
  12. Stow Lake (attraction)
  13. De Young Museum (attraction)
  14. Koret Children’s Quarter (attraction)
  15. Powell Street (attraction)
  16. Union Square (attraction)
Tim from San Francisco

Bison Paddock is a GREAT visit. Just try and get there early morning for most activity. If you land in the afternoon, the bison will be chilling out due to the high sun.

Also, hit the California Academy of Scienceswhile you're there,

as well as the Japanese Tea Garden right next door! One of my favorite weekend combos. 

Melissa
I hear great things about California Academy of Sciences, will hit for sure. Had no idea about Bison Paddock though! Nice tip!

1. Bison Paddock (attraction)
  2. California Academy of Sciences (attraction)
  3. Japanese Tea Garden (attraction)

We love to hug the coast and take advantage of many of the free parks and beaches that make up the Golden Gate National Recreation area.  The  Sutro Baths are fun to explore when the weather allows.  We take side streets (this is where GPS is great) to hug the coast as much as possible and end up at  Baker Beach where there are great views of the  Golden Gate Bridge.  If your 6-year old is really active, then park at the Golden Gate and walk across.  There are park areas on both sides and information that's interesting for adults too.  The old forts at Fort Point National Historic Site and the Marin Headlands are both fun to walk around.  The headlands are on the other side of the Golden Gate.  If you love hikes and nature walks, go to Muir Woods.  It isn't far from San Francisco, but the hikes are easy and beautiful.  

For views of the city (yes, we get outdoorsy and active with our kids), we like going to the Coit Tower or Twin Peaks for nice views.  You can climb the tower which some kids like.  My girls also loved walking down  Lombard Street.  It's way touristy, but fun and we got some great photo ops there.

Debbie already mentioned some of my other favorites in her answer, so I'll ditto Golden Gate Park where we love to take picnics and go paddleboating, Pier 39 where they can see sealions basking on the piers (it's always find to see wildlife in the wild), and Alamo Square which has a nice greenspace for lounging or frisbee, a great playground for kids, and is surrounded by the Painted Ladies which are beautiful to see for adults.

Awesome suggestions yourself, Tiffany!

Melissa
I've always wanted to go to Muir Woods - good call. We are for sure outdoorsy and active with our kiddo too, so these are fantastic ideas - thank you so much!

1. Sutro Baths (attraction)
  2. Baker Beach (attraction)
  3. Golden Gate Bridge (attraction)
  4. Fort Point National Historic Site (attraction)
  5. Marin Headlands (attraction)
  6. Muir Woods (attraction)
  7. Coit Tower (attraction)
  8. Twin Peaks (attraction)
  9. Lombard Street (attraction)
  10. Golden Gate Park (attraction)
  11. Pier 39 (attraction)
  12. Alamo Square (attraction)
  13. Painted Ladies (attraction)