Sophie
Amsterdam

Vegetarian /vegan restaurants in SF?

Where would you recommend for some of the best vegetarian / vegan food in SF? 

Jenifer from Berlin

San Francisco has some really wonderful vegan and vegetarian options ranging from hole-in-the-wall joints, to casual fine dining. All of the other recommendations below are great, so I'll skip those in my post. Here are a few more options for you:  

Golden Era- This place is the mecca of asian vegan/veg food. The owner of Golden Era is a celebrity of sorts and is the person who started Loving Hut, which is an international chain now! 

Loving Hut - Any location in San Francisco will do!

The Plant Cafe Organic- several locations around the Bay. 

Millennium Restaurant (The Millennium) is famous for bringing vegetarian/vegan fine dining to San Francisco, but unfortunately they are closing down on April 30th. If you are in town before then, make sure to reserve a table. This place is a must try! 

Al's Place - The same chef that was behind the famous veg restaurant in Napa recently opened his new place in the Mission. While there are some meat options on the menu, he still mostly focuses on vegetarian cuisine. 

Cha -Ya - Vegan/Veg sushi! So awesome!

Ike's Place (Ike's Place) - Famous sandwich shop in the Bay Area with several vegan/veg sandwich options!

Ananda Fuara - Another great vegan place in SOMA/Tenderloin/Civic Center. Very casual.

Hella Vegan Eats - Food truck roaming around San Francisco. If you can find them, you're sure to have a great meal! Take a look at their website to see where they will be located that day/week.

I think that's a good start! Enjoy San Francisco! 

1. Golden Era (restaurant)
  2. Loving Hut (restaurant)
  3. The Plant Cafe Organic (restaurant)
  4. Millennium Restaurant (restaurant)
  5. Al's Place (restaurant)
  6. Cha -Ya (restaurant)
  7. Ike's Place (restaurant)
  8. Ananda Fuara (restaurant)

jessica from New York City

Millennium Restaurant is the best Vegan restaurant in the Bay Area.  No joke, even carnivores love this place because the vegan food here is out of this world delicious! Don't be fooled by anyone who says it's closing, it's just moving locations in March.

http://www.millenniumrestaurant.com/

1. Millennium Restaurant (restaurant)

Camille from San Francisco

I actually went to a really good vegan Indian restaurant last week called Udupi Palace. They really know how to work those spices. Roam Artisan Burgers isn't an entirely vegetarian menu but they do have the BEST veggie burger I have ever had. Cha -Ya is vegan Japanese food. They have really good soba noodles. Seed + Salt is a great vegan restaurant in the city. I come here for their salads and bonus points for their gluten free menu.

1. Udupi Palace (restaurant)
  2. Roam Artisan Burgers (restaurant)
  3. Cha -Ya (restaurant)
  4. Seed + Salt (restaurant)

Valerie from Los Angeles

I immediately thought of Millennium Restaurant! Their sweet potato gnocchi is out of this world and don't even get me started on their desserts...you have to treat yourself to their chocolate almond cake. So.Good.

Greens Restaurant- Great vegetarian restaurant + a pretty view of the bay in Fort Mason.

Gracias Madre- Vegan Mexican food. When I first heard that a vegan Mexican restaurant even existed, I laughed. But after trying their hominy stew, this is now one of my favorite Mexican restaurants in the city. Don't skip their sweet potato tacos either. 

1. Millennium Restaurant (restaurant)
  2. Greens Restaurant (restaurant)
  3. Fort Mason (attraction)
  4. Gracias Madre (restaurant)

Grant from San Francisco

If you're feeling fancy, try Greens Restaurant in the Marina. Beautiful, creative, and not too crazy expensive. Right around $100 for two people. 

Otherwise, get Indian food at Udupi Palace on Valencia/21st in the Mission. 

Yelp.com is huge in SF, so just sort by veggie places :)

1. Greens Restaurant (restaurant)
  2. Udupi Palace (restaurant)

Cara from San Francisco

Lots of good answers here! I'd also suggest Gracias Madre, in the Mission. It's a vegan Mexican place. First time I went I had no idea it was vegan, and I just LOVED it! Everything is super fresh, and it tastes delish (even for an avowed carnivore).

1. Gracias Madre (restaurant)

Chiara from San Francisco

Thai Idea Vegetarian Loving Hut in SF are ok

My favorite Saturn Cafe in Berkeley.

Gracias Madre Vegan Mexican in San Francisco. Cashew cream as dressing was a delicious discovery.

Visit my Travel Blog for more travel tips!

1. Thai Idea Vegetarian (restaurant)
  2. Loving Hut (restaurant)
  3. Saturn Cafe (restaurant)
  4. Gracias Madre (restaurant)

Sidney from Denver

Hello! I went to La Jolla Beach and it seemed like a majority of the vegan restaurants were far away from me, so I went to Veggie Grill, which is an easy, quick choice. Everything is vegan and has mac n' cheese and veggie burgers. Not the most whimsical choice, but good for time and budget.

1. Veggie Grill (restaurant)