Spencer
Eugene, Oregon

Vegan restaurants in San Francisco

My vegan wife and I will be celebrating our anniversary in San Francisco and I'd like to take her somewhere nice.  Are there any date night-type vegan-friendly restaurants in San Francisco?

San Francisco's a very environmentally and globally conscious city, so you've actually got options.  Two popular and entirely vegan restaurants that are very nice are Millennium Restaurant and Saha in Nob Hill.  You'll definitely need reservations at Millenium.  Greens Restaurant in the Marina is also very nice and though vegetarian, are very vegan friendly. 

To throw in some variety, Minako in the Mission is good for vegan sushi, and Gracias Madre, also in the Mission, is good for vegan Mexican food, and though not upscale restaurants, are still pretty nice.

Also, as I mentioned, SF's a very environmentally and globally conscious city, so if those suggestions don't fit into your itinerary, many nice San Francisco restaurants already have vegan and vegetarian options on their menu and many are also happy to accommodate to a variety of diets and food allergies.

By the way, happy anniversary!

1. Millennium Restaurant (restaurant)
  2. Greens Restaurant (restaurant)
  3. Gracias Madre (restaurant)

Avery from Berkeley

Millennium Restaurant for sure.  As a meat eater, I was a little skeptical, but a foodie friend invited me and it was one of the most amazing meals I've ever had.  Didn't think it'd be possible with vegan food!

And this one isn't as fancy, but it's delicious -- Udupi Palace for Indian food.  Lots of great vegan options there.

By the way, just throwing this out there for brunch (because you do need a meal earlier in the day!), but Mission Beach Cafe always has a really good vegan option.  Think sweet potato and butternut squash hash, and veggie scrambles.  Also has good coffee and mimosas.

1. Millennium Restaurant (restaurant)
  2. Udupi Palace (restaurant)
  3. Mission Beach Cafe (restaurant)