Michele asked

Trip to California

Thinking of adding on to our trip. We will start in San Francisco, go to Carmel by the Sean and then would like to go to Yosemite before going north to Sonoma and back to San Francisco. Any suggestions! We have 2 weeks!

San Francisco   Carmel By the Sea   Yosemite National Park

Michael from San Leandro

One quick thing to add-  there is a bridge out in US 1 just north of Big Sur Lodge. Nepenthe and Julia Pfeiffer Burns State Park may be closed. Not really closed- just very difficult to get to.

Lane
The Pfeiffer bridge is actually gone - demolished after it was damaged beyond repair by mudslides - so there will be no access coming from Carmel (other than by foot trail or helicopter) to the Big Sur areas mentioned until the new bridge is completed in September 2017. However it doesn't sound like Michelle plans to travel south of Carmel-by-the-Sea, so it shouldn't be an issue for her planned trip.

1. Big Sur Lodge (hotel)
  2. Nepenthe (restaurant)
  3. Julia Pfeiffer Burns State Park (attraction)
Duke

Hi Michele! Near San Francisco I recommend Sausalito and Tiburon, you could be half to 1 day each. San Francisco with 5 days is enough and Carmel By the Sea in 1 day you're done. I don't know when are you traveling, now the routes are closed, but I highly recommend Julia Pfeiffer Burns State Park there is beautiful views to the sea there.
If you have any question, don't hesitate to contact me.

Enjoy your trip!

You don't say when this two weeks will be. 

It is perfectly possible to add a trip to Yosemite into a trip centered around San Francisco, BUT if you were thinking of going this summer (or any time this year) it will be hard to get accommodation in the park.  I think you need at least 2 days in the park. 

San Francisco to Yosemite National Park is only about 80 miles but will probably take almost 4 hours to drive.  Yosemite to Carmel By the Sea is 200 miles and will also take about 4 hours.  Carmel to Sonoma going through Gilroy and San Jose will 165 miles.  And then back to San Francisco is 65 miles.  A total of 640 miles and about 12 hours of driving.  

San Francisco - 3 days

Drive to Yosemite - Day 4 - half a day

Yosemite Day 5, 6, 7- 3 days

Drive to Carmel - Day 8 half a day

Carmel - Day 9, 10, 11 -  3 days

Drive to Sonoma - Day 12 half a day

Sonoma - Day 13 - 1 day

Back to SF and leave Day 14

If you did if the other way around, it cuts an hour and about 40 miles off of the trip. 

San Francisco - 3 days

Drive to Sonoma - 1 hour - Day 4

Sonoma - Day 4 and 5

Drive to Yosemite - half a day - Day 6

Yosemite Day 7, and 8

Drive to Carmel - half a day - Day 9

Carmel - Day 10, 11, 12

Drive back to SF - day 13

Leave Day 14

Michele
Thank you for all the info. I will be going in May! I will now consider the 2nd option. I appreciate your help.

1. San Francisco (city)
  2. Yosemite National Park (attraction)
  3. Carmel By the Sea (city)
  4. Sonoma (city)
  5. Gilroy (city)
  6. San Jose (city)