Staci
Cleveland

This is on my bucket list. Fill my brain with info on what to do!

So yea, that really wasn't a question. Here's the scoop:

1. I want to go to San Fran within the next year. When is the best time to visit? I like to travel on a budget, so weather isn't my only concern. I'm not cheap, but I don't go luxury either. 

2. What local hang outs/restaurants do you recommend I hit?

3. Of course I want to see the Golden Gate Bridge and Alcatraz. What other major sites/attractions do you recommend?

4. Is there anything I should avoid? Tourist traps? 

Thanks in advance for your help! 

Hayden from Cleveland

Ah, I'm excited for you. However, you might not want to leave. 

So, I'm going to start with the Golden Gate Bridge. The place I most enjoy the view is from the Marin Headlands. If you have a car, it is spectacular and has the most amazing views. If you keep driving instead of turning around at the top like most do, you will find my absolute favorite spot in SF, Upper Fishermans Trail a little up the way. 

Food, such amazing food. I've talked about some of my favorites in some other posts, so here's a quick list. For brunch, Bar TartineFor a mimosa induced brunch, Bisou Bistro.For dinner, I love love love love Beast and the Hare and Kitchen Story

If you have time to make it to Oakland, Pizzaiolo is one of my favorite pizza spots, and I don't even care for pizza that much. They have a potato pizza that is, well, what I ordered every time I dined. They have a wonderful seasonal menu. 

In Haight-Ashbury, I loved The Ice Cream Bar. They serve normal ice cream and shakes in addition to boozy ones. They are fantastic. Cha Cha Cha is a bomb place but really packed. The sangria? It's scooped out of a huge bin, so you know it's good. The View

In the city, an expensive bar (your paying for the awesome view) called The View is amazing to stare out over the city before heading out for a night out. 

Honestly, I figure SF will feel great to you any time of year since it probably doesn't get any colder than Ohio (haha). Just always bring a jacket! 

1. Marin Headlands (attraction)
  2. Upper Fishermans Trail (attraction)
  3. Bar Tartine (restaurant)
  4. Bisou Bistro (restaurant)
  5. Beast and the Hare (restaurant)
  6. Kitchen Story (restaurant)
  7. Pizzaiolo (restaurant)
  8. Haight-Ashbury (neighborhood)
  9. The Ice Cream Bar (restaurant)
  10. Cha Cha Cha (restaurant)
  11. The View (attraction)

Peter from San Mateo

1.) Winter and Summer are historically the worst weather-wise. But lately, it's been a crap-shoot. 2.) Too many restaurants to name. Luckily, it's hard to find a bad meal in SF -- try OpenTable's ratings. 3.) Get tix IN ADVANCE for Alcatraz or you won't get them -- consider going at night! Twin Peaks Blvd is a must for the view of downtown, Sausalito for the same reason. 4.) Pier 33 is useless except for the Sea Lions, avoid it. Union Square is slightly less of a tourist trap. The Mission District has lots of cheap eats, and Dolores Park is a great place to chill. Oh, and rent a bike, cabs get expensive fast because traffic doesn't move.

1. Alcatraz (attraction)
  2. Twin Peaks Blvd (attraction)
  3. Sausalito (city)
  4. Pier 33 (attraction)
  5. Union Square (attraction)
  6. Mission District (neighborhood)
  7. Dolores Park (attraction)

Rachel

I'm trying to think of things you probably couldn't get or do in Cleveland here...Swan Oyster Depot is a step back in time: http://www.sfswanoysterdepot.com/ also House of Nankinghttp://houseofnanking.net/ - both places are best if you just let the servers bring you their recs of the day. Truly unique and tasty experiences. Le Colonial SF has nice Vietnamese food but it's the historic hotel setting and swing jazz in the lounge that made me fall in love with the place. http://www.lecolonialsf.com Again, a little bit of time travel in a city mostly focused on the future. Finally, try taking the Sausalito Ferry across the bay for an inexpensive cruise. Yes, the walk around Sausalito is a bit touristy - but gorgeous too, especially the views back towards San Francisco. A very romantic place to be in the evening. http://goldengateferry.org/schedules/Sausalito.php

Enjoy! I'm jealous of your trip and go back whenever I can.

1. Swan Oyster Depot (restaurant)
  2. House of Nanking (restaurant)
  3. Le Colonial SF (restaurant)
  4. Sausalito (city)

Valerie from Los Angeles

How exciting! San Francisco is an awesome city! 

1. If you want to do Alcatraz, BOOK NOW. It is booked months and months in advance. I recommend doing the night time tour if you want to be spooked a bit :) 

2. Avoid Fisherman's Wharf. It's pointless, there is nothing great you will see here except 'San Francisco' printed on a shirt/sweatshirt 50 different ways. 

3. Definitely head up to Twin Peaks for the full view of the city! It is beautiful at the top but can be pretty windy at times, so bring a jacket! 

4. You must go to Haight-Ashbury. This is a tourist spot but a good one! There are a ton of cool, vintage shops that are fun to browse through. I always find something to buy. 

5. Relax in Dolores Park, it's a popular spot! 

6. I love going to the California Academy of Sciences in Golden Gate park, especially on a gloomy day.

7. Here are some of my favorite places to eat in SF: Park Tavern (great for brunch), The Tipsy Pig, and Nopa.

Have fun, Staci! 

1. Fisherman's Wharf (attraction)
  2. Twin Peaks (attraction)
  3. Haight-Ashbury (neighborhood)
  4. Dolores Park (attraction)
  5. California Academy of Sciences (attraction)
  6. Park Tavern (restaurant)
  7. The Tipsy Pig (restaurant)
  8. Nopa (restaurant)

Joe from Sacramento

If your interested in a guided hiking tour my wife and I enjoyed this one http://www.urbanhikersf.com

It's a little work to hike for 2-3 hours but man the views are awesome and you get to see some off the beaten path sites that locals don't even know about 

I enjoy wandering-so make sure to spend some time just checking out the variety of offerings-both in food and in "antiques" in San Francisco Chinatown-if you start on the south side and make your way north, you will have some eye popping views of the bay.  Check out the Ferry Plaza Farmers Market-great for lunch or a quick easy dinner.  One of my favorite restaurant experiences was at Oriental Pearl Restaurant.

1. San Francisco Chinatown (attraction)
  2. Ferry Plaza Farmers Market (attraction)
  3. Oriental Pearl Restaurant (restaurant)

Daisy from California

A quick answer...don't go in the summer as it's foggy and cold.  The best times are spring and fall!  Enjoy!