Chryssa
Copenhagen

San Francisco, Santa Barbara, Las Vegas

Roadtrip from San Francisco to Santa Barbara to Las Vegas - what to see?

Planning a road trip from San Francisco to Santa Barbara to Las Vegas. What stops would you recommend and what are the absolutely must sees in this route?

And if we need to overnight somewhere in the coastline between San Francisco and Santa Barbara, where would you suggest that we do that?

Melanie from Los Angeles

It may sound cliche but I would recommend a tour of Hearst Castle. The place is so huge that they offer four separate tours for different sections of the house. I haven't been yet, but my friends have said the lighthouse at Point Reyes National Seashore is really great (lots of steps to get to the lighthouse and back though!) Also, if you've never been to Los Angeles, I would recommend visiting the Griffith Observatory for 360 views of the entire city. I know that Groupon usually has deals for mid-range lodging in the Cambria area. Also, try Dottie's True Blue Cafe for breakfast in San Francisco. Their pancakes and white chocolate scone are AMAZING! Have a great time!

1. Hearst Castle (attraction)
  2. Point Reyes National Seashore (attraction)
  3. Los Angeles (city)
  4. Griffith Observatory (attraction)
  5. Cambria (city)
  6. Dottie's True Blue Cafe (restaurant)
  7. San Francisco (city)
  8. Point Reyes Lighthouse Visitor Information Center (attraction)

Valerie from Los Angeles

Don't miss driving through Big Sur, one of the prettiest places in California. Especially, McWay Falls, it seriously looks like somewhere out of a fairytale. Stop and eat at Nepenthe, the view is gooooorgeous and the food is great. 

I suggest stopping somewhere in San Luis Obispo, that's about the half way point from San Francisco to Santa BarbaraMorro Bay is a cute little beach town to wander through and I haven't been there yet but I hear Ostrichland USA Inc is a fun, cheap activity!

1. Big Sur (city)
  2. McWay Falls (attraction)
  3. Nepenthe (restaurant)
  4. San Luis Obispo (city)
  5. San Francisco (city)
  6. Santa Barbara (city)
  7. Morro Bay (city)
  8. Ostrichland USA Inc (attraction)

Carmody from Saint Paul, Minnesota

Places to go in Santa Barbara The Funk ZoneLotuslandButterfly Beach. If you take Highway 1 along the coast, you should stop Monterey Bay AquariumBig Sur and Hearst Castle. There are also good wineries in Solvang.

1. Santa Barbara (city)
  2. The Funk Zone (attraction)
  3. Lotusland (attraction)
  4. Butterfly Beach (attraction)
  5. Monterey Bay Aquarium (attraction)
  6. Big Sur (city)
  7. Hearst Castle (attraction)
  8. Solvang (city)

Devera from New York City

You really should stop in Big Sur.  Easiest place to stop and get the feel of the area is Nepenthe, a restaurant on the ocean side.  Great views.  Google Big Sur and you will find all you need to know.  But stop for sure.  

1. Big Sur (city)
  2. Nepenthe (restaurant)