Don

Don asked

Ritz v Fairmont

My wife and I and our 36 year old daughter are traveling to San Francisco. We are looking for a luxury hotel in the city that will accommodate 3 people in a room without a sofa bed, such as two queen beds. I know they are both on a hill so I understand they are not very walkable. Which hotels have the nicer and larger rooms.

Thanks.

John from Carlsbad (California)

The guest rooms at the Ritz Carlton are all 400 square feet.  The guest rooms at the Fairmont with two queen beds are 425 or 550 square feet in the main building and 370 square feet in the tower.  The Fairmont is higher on Nob Hill and the Signature tower rooms facing the bay have great views but are smaller.

Michael from San Leandro

The Ritz-Carlton Club and Residences probably has the bigger rooms. They are close. The The Fairmont San Francisco is older and has old school rooms. Classy and nice, don't get me wrong, but the Ritz has the larger regular rooms.

Laura from Atlanta

I have stayed at both properties and they are both lovely. There is a cable car stop in the front of each property, and valet's to assist with cabs.

In my experience the Ritz-Carlton Club and Residences is a bit more roomy, and some of the club-level 2 queen rooms are extra large.