Elektra
Cambridge (Massachusetts)

Restaurant/Food Recs in Financial District?

Will be staying in financial district for 2 nights this month on a business trip (2 twenty-something women). Any recommendations for good restaurants/food spots?

Variety of price ranges appreciated! 

Krista from San Francisco

Hi Elektra,

Noticed you're from Cambridge, MA - love it there! Hope you will enjoy your time in SF. 

I'm not as familiar with the FiDi (feel like it has changed so much in the four years since I've worked there) but I do really like Barbacco (great wine list and dessert selection in addition to tasty entrees and a nice ambience) and Wayfare Tavern (get the fried chicken and popovers!).

If you're willing to venture to the Ferry BuildingMarketBar Restaurant is really fun, and nearby Coqueta (Michael Chiarello) is THE place to enjoy a cocktail + tasty tapas with a view of the sparkling Bay Bridge.

Hope you find these suggestions on point & get some good eating in! :)

1. Barbacco (restaurant)
  2. Wayfare Tavern (restaurant)
  3. Ferry Building (attraction)
  4. Coqueta (restaurant)
  5. Bay Bridge (attraction)

Marc

All good suggestions (I live in the financial district), but a great suggestion is to take the 5:30 ferry from Ferry Plaza  to Sausalito and return on the 7:20 arriving at 7:50.  The fun part is there is a cocktail party on the boat every night with commuters, you get a great tour of the bay, see Alcatraz and the Golden Gate Bridge from the water, and the return trip faces SF at sunset when the city lights sparkle (unless it's really foggy).  You would have an hour and twenty min.. so you could grab dinner in Sausalito or just stay with the cocktail theme and take the 6:45 ferry round trip.

1. Sausalito (city)
  2. Alcatraz (attraction)
  3. Golden Gate Bridge (attraction)

Sarah from San Francisco

The Financial District has tons of great lunch options and some dinner.  Urban Picnic and Fleur de Sel on Kearny have great lunch options.  Check out Ramen Underground for lunch or dinner as well.  Jackson Square has amazing fancy restaurants- Quince and Kokkari Estiatorio. Also head down to the Ferry Building for other great restaurants. 

1. Urban Picnic (attraction)
  2. Fleur de Sel (attraction)
  3. Quince (restaurant)
  4. Kokkari Estiatorio (restaurant)

Kristal from San Francisco

Elektra,

For reviews, tips and menu suggestions you can check out my blog

For nice lunch and/or dinner (reservations recommended):

Kokkari Estiatorio - amazing Greek
Order: lamb chops, whole grilled fish, octopus salad

Cotogna- amazing Italian
Order: Menu changes, but this is the best gnocchi I have had since my
trip to Italy, pizza with the egg on top is great, the burrata starter with pomegranite is delicious as well

La Fusion - Latin/Californian

Order: Rotisserie chicken (the bread salad that comes with it           is AMAZING!, their tres leches cake, the vegetable empanadas, and the tuna tartar)

R & G Lounge - Chinese Restaurant
      Order: Salt and pepper crab, peking duck, chow mein... the crab is
      the real star

For quick and cheaper lunch:

Sushirrito - Union Square- a fun and super tasty lunch option, they make sushi burritos (think large handrolls) that are delicious! This is a take-out option. There are many parks in the Financial district though that you can sit and eat. Also, they have multiple locations in the area. 

Order: Geisha's kiss, Salmon Samba and the Sumo Crunch are my faves!

Molinari Delicatessenc- if you're willing to walk a little into Little Italy/North Beach, Molinari's makes GREAT sandwiches!
Order: Foccacia Special toasted with salami instead of prosciutto

Tacolicious - great tacos, guacamole and margaritas (also in North Beach area)

Galette 88 - very good savory crepes (I normally wouldn't say that, but this was the best I have tried)

Order: The brie crepe with pesto and chicken is delicious!

Cafe Madeleine - Cute little cafe with smaller sandwiches, but great burrata sandwich

If you are here on a Thursday, you can walk down to the Ferry Building Marketplace for the farmers' market. You'll find different food stands (I would recommend Wise Son's Deli - their pastrami is good).Tacolicious also has a food stand there as well.

The Ferry Building in General has some great choices:
Gotts Burgers- good shakes and burgers always long line - they have been featured in many things (originally from Napa)

Hog Island Oyster Co., Inc - Fresh oysters, seafood and a great clam chowder
Boccalone Salumeria

Boccalone Salumeria - Great meats like salami, they have sandwiches there or you can just get a meat cone, which samples their deli cuts - that would be more of a snack.

Other random things to try:

If you make it to the Ferry Building, pick up some Cowgirl Creamery cheese(I like the Mt. Tam brie cheese) and next door they can get acme bread (cash only).

If you are into coffee, Blue Bottle Coffee is SF's pride and joy haha. I don't drink coffee, but they serve up a mean affogato.

Most of these are on the blog, so they can look at pictures and read up
more on them, but there are a few here I haven't yet reviewed. Hope this
helps! 

Best,

Kristal

1. Kokkari Estiatorio (restaurant)
  2. Cotogna (restaurant)
  3. La Fusion (restaurant)
  4. R & G Lounge (restaurant)
  5. Sushirrito - Union Square (restaurant)
  6. Molinari Delicatessen (attraction)
  7. Tacolicious (attraction)
  8. Galette 88 (restaurant)
  9. Cafe Madeleine (restaurant)
  10. Ferry Building Marketplace (attraction)
  11. Hog Island Oyster Co., Inc (restaurant)
  12. Boccalone Salumeria (restaurant)
  13. Blue Bottle Coffee (restaurant)

Scott from San Francisco

Go to Tadich Grill for some cioppino, and go to the Ferry building and have a grilled cheese sandwich at Cowgirl Creamery and/or some charcutterie Boccalone Salumeria, followed by delicious ice cream at Humphry Slocombe.  On Saturday's at the Ferry building (behind it) they have a huge farmer's market with many food stands.  Try a smoked salmon sandwich - sf style smoked salmon, cream cheese, capers, pickled onions on sourdough bread at http://www.holysmokedsalmon.com/.  

1. Tadich Grill (restaurant)
  2. Cowgirl Creamery (attraction)
  3. Boccalone Salumeria (restaurant)
  4. Humphry Slocombe (attraction)