Sherrye asked

Parking Options

We are driving to the bay area (Palo Alto) in August for a reunion. We would like to spend a couple nights at the Fairmont Hotel but parking in SF is outrageous! We know we can overnight park at Bart Stations but not sure how that works or how we would get to the hotel from there. Any suggestions for cheap ways to park and then get to the hotel? We are older so walking those hills is a real challenge for us.

Claudia from New York City
To add on to all the good answers, you could also look into parking at Port of San Francisco cruise terminal. Here's the site to reserve a parking spot: https://www.impark.com/san-francisco-bay-area/cruise-parking/
I think it's $18 per day, more for bigger vehicles.
Or try the San Francisco Airport long term parking. Check it out here: https://www.flysfo.com/to-from/parking/long-term

1. Port of San Francisco (transit station)
Loren from New York City

Since the cable cars run directly in front of the Fairmount maybe find a good parking lot on the line so you can get to and from car/hotel easier. I had luck at one down on Embarcadero last time I visited and it was pretty smooth.

Sherrye
But do they allow you to stay in the same spot for 2 days? In the past I seem to remember having to move it frequently.

Thuy from San Francisco
Parking downtown and around it is not cheap in SF. You can try street parking but that means circling the block several times, if you can even find free parking. Getting to the hotel is easier, you can uber anywhere, and there is also a streetcar that goes pass the hotel (or close by) from Embarcadero.
Bart is $3 or so a day, free on the weekend. Check on their website to see if overnight parking is allowed. If you want to park in Bart, South San Francisco, San Bruno and Millbrae have parking structures that can accmmodate. 
I'm with Dan, I would try to park in any towns in the Peninsula...you might also find more free street parking. 

Sherrye
I will look into Bart parking. I am not concerned about getting to the hotel because, as you mentioned, there are so many options for that, Just need a safe place to leave my car for a couple of days. And, since we will be heading there from Palo Alto, the peninsula is definitely the plan.

Dan
i see parking in SF downtown hotels can be $50 plus a night.  Better to take Caltrain or Uber from Palo Alto and save some money and headache.

Sherrye
Yes that was the plan, but doesn't solve the problem of where to leave my car for the two nights we are there.