Rhonda
Gretna, Virginia

Looking for an affordable hotel in a quiet SF neighborhood

From what I have read, the best central location to stay in SF is Union Square.  We likely will stay 3 nights, but need affordable. (2 wk.trip around area) I am looking at September...can anyone recommend a place or two to check?  I like comfort, clean & quiet at night to sleep..any ideas anyone?   Thank you!

Pamela from Los Gatos

I lived in SF for six years and I would definitely NOT recommend Union Square. It is central, but it is not really quiet...and it is surrounded by sketchy areas that you will need to walk through in order to get to other areas of the city. In my opinion, definitely not a good place to stay. Keep in mind that "downtown" San Francisco is shopping and business by day, but it kind of shuts down at night. I don't know any hotels to recommend off the top of my head...except for the The Fairmont San Francisco. But you mentioned affordable...there may specials. I've stayed there before and was able to swing an affordable rate. If you can afford it, I would stay there for a central location, clean, and quiet at night...bonus on great views. In terms of recommendations for good locations...I think the best neighborhoods to stay in are Russian Hill or Nob Hill. They are clean, quiet, safe...great views and walking to some of the must-see spots.

1. Union Square (attraction)
  2. The Fairmont San Francisco (hotel)
  3. Russian Hill (neighborhood)
  4. Nob Hill (neighborhood)

Fritzi from San Francisco

Securing affordable accommodations in SF can be a challenge. I suggest you look at the Klimpton hotel properties, which is a boutique brand. They sometimes have good deals. Another possibility is Japantown, which has a few hotels. A third approach is to stay on the BART line just outside SF in Daly City. You could save a lot on the room and be in SF in 10 minutes. Airbnb has been mentioned. So good luck and have a great time.

1. Japantown (attraction)
  2. Daly City (city)

Camille from San Francisco

I would look into Pacific Heights or the Presidio Heights. I've heard Hotel Drisco is a great place to stay. 

1. Pacific Heights (neighborhood)
  2. Presidio Heights (attraction)
  3. Hotel Drisco (hotel)

Elliott from San Francisco

Look at AirBnB.com for Lower Pacific Heights.  Known locally as "Upper Fillmore", close to the Japan Center, easy transportation to all parts of the city and a great walking environment.  

1. Lower Pacific Heights (attraction)
  2. Japan Center (attraction)

Krista from San Francisco

Hi Rhonda,

Awesome that you're planning a trip to San Francisco! For a quiet neighborhood, I recommend checking out Cow Hollow, Pacific Heights, the Presidio and the Sunset District. While these neighborhoods can be pricy, you can often find fantastic deals using Airbnb.

Cow Hollow and Pacific Heights will also give you great access to many of the city's top sites, including Crissy FieldMarina DistrictPalace of Fine ArtsGolden Gate Bridge and Japantown. While the Sunset is a bit further from most of the central activity and sightseeing, you'll have easy access to Ocean BeachLands End and Sutro Baths. Luckily, San Francisco is pretty easy to get around regardless of where you stay - just download Lyft + Uber or use Google Maps for our public bus system, Muni.

Areas to avoid due to noise and crowds are Union Square, parts of North Beach, Polk Street and the heart of the Mission District.

Leave me a comment if you have specific questions, and I'll do my best to help you out. :)

Enjoy!!

1. Crissy Field (attraction)
  2. Marina District (attraction)
  3. Palace of Fine Arts (attraction)
  4. Golden Gate Bridge (attraction)
  5. Japantown (attraction)
  6. Ocean Beach (attraction)
  7. Lands End (attraction)
  8. Sutro Baths (attraction)