John

Looking For Places To Stay

Any recommendations? Somewhere safe, maybe near the wharf would be nice. $100 - $150 per night or less. Any secrets you know would be appreciated.

Kevin from North Hampton, New Hampshire

My recommendation is don't stay by Fisherman's Wharf. It's honestly not that amazing and locals never go there, except when their out of town friend or family member insists to see the sea lions, which are the only redeeming quality of the wharf.  

I would recommend searching through some sort of short-term stay website, though due to their recent political activities I am less inclined to support them. The amazing factor is that when my mom visited, she stayed in a wonderfully safe neighborhood that gave her the feel of what it's like to live in SF (she stayed in Noe Valley which is a family environment).  

I really like Mission District, Russian HillInner Richmond, Inner Sunset (please take note of the "inner" component, they go all the way to the beach, 48 or so blocks!), the Lower Haight,  The CastroDistrict, Potrero Hill. Something to think about, depends on what you are looking for!

1. Fisherman's Wharf (attraction)
  2. Noe Valley (neighborhood)
  3. Mission District (neighborhood)
  4. Russian Hill (neighborhood)
  5. Inner Richmond (attraction)
  6. Inner Sunset (attraction)
  7. Lower Haight (attraction)
  8. The Castro (attraction)
  9. District (attraction)
  10. Potrero Hill (neighborhood)

Fritzi from San Francisco

There really is no secret to getting a good rate. Check the hotel sites like tripadvisor, hotels.com or airbnb. The Wharf is one of the more expensive places to stay. SF is a smaller city and transit is reliable. I think the Hayes Valley area is fun or the Fillmore District. I have studied the SF airbnb listings and you can get some good deals. You can stay within your budget if you keep looking; as soon as your target rate appears, grab it. If you study the rates you will know a good deal when you see it. Enjoy SF.

1. Hayes Valley (neighborhood)
  2. Fillmore District (attraction)

Sean from Hudson Valley

Hey John.

I love San Fran, but it can be a pricey bugger!  I always look to see what can be had on either Priceline or Hot Wire.  You may not get the deal of the century, but I've never wound up in some dump when I've used them.

Good luck!  

Kevin from Hermosa Beach

I always like to stay in or around the Marina District. It's pretty close to Fisherman's Wharf and has good restaurants and bars. The Cow Hollow Motor Inn and the Chelsea Motor Inn are two examples of places I've stayed in the past. Depending on the time of the year, you can get in there for $100-150/night. Plus it has free parking and internet. You'll pay $25-30/day for parking in many other places in "the City."

1. Marina District (attraction)
  2. Fisherman's Wharf (attraction)
  3. Cow Hollow Motor Inn (hotel)
  4. Chelsea Motor Inn (hotel)

Lynn

I have stayed at the HI - San Francisco: Fisherman's Wharf many times (I'm a senior) and enjoyed it very much.  Well located, helpful staff, very near a bus line to get around.  Much less than $100/per.

1. HI - San Francisco: Fisherman's Wharf (hotel)

Dee from California

My professional opinion is that buying something that you have no idea what you will get on Priceline is right up there with opening the phone booking (remember those?) and poking your finger at a name. 

When you plan on being there will be a great determining factor as to what prices will look like, but don't expect much, and not centrally located, most of the year for that budget.

Chris from New York City

While not in the Warf area I would check out The Mosser Hotel.  Its in a great (safe) location near market street and union square.  I've taken the cable car from that area to the Warf and its a great experience.  The Mosser is small but clean and I checked a few dates and most were below $150 which is unheard of in that area.  One word of caution - some rooms share a bathroom but its clearly marked on the website.  If you want your own bathroom don't just pick the cheapest room. 

1. The Mosser Hotel (hotel)