Leonard
Minneapolis

San Francisco Hidden Gems

I have an extra day on a business trip to SF coming up.  What's the coolest/funnest thing to do or place to visit in the Bay Area that you won't find in a tourist guide?

Sean from Hudson Valley

Hi Leonard.

Golden Gate Park is pleasant. Even if it's foggy, it's fun.

The Golden Gate Bridge is iconic, and for good reason.

If you enjoy architecture seek out the Painted Ladies; the brightly decorated Victorian era houses.

As silly as it may sound on the surface, ride a cable car. It may sound touristy and kitchey (and it is), but even jaded S.O.B.s like me find it fun.

Sharyn from Pittsburgh

Walk around downtown..Union SquareChinatown San Francisco.  Take the CableCar down to Fisherman's WharfPier 39  grab a short bus tour - across the Golden Gate Bridge(or drive it). You'll run out of time before you run out of things to see.

1. Union Square (attraction)
  2. Chinatown San Francisco (metro area)
  3. Fisherman's Wharf (attraction)
  4. Pier 39 (attraction)
  5. Golden Gate Bridge (attraction)

Lynn

If you can get on the night tour of Alcatraz... usually you have to book well in advance, but worth a try.  A walk across the Golden Gate Bridge is cool... and I do mean cool! Dress warmly!

1. Alcatraz (attraction)
  2. Golden Gate Bridge (attraction)

Fritzi from San Francisco

San Francisco is very well documented; secret places appear in blogs and don't stay off the radar for long. I would avoid Fisherman's WharfUnion Square and the cable cars. I recommend the Legion of Honor museum in Lincoln Park, visiting Lands EndSutro BathsLand's , touring AT&T Park, or visiting Dogpatch, which is still gritty and not totally gentrified. I enjoy the tour of the anchor steam brewery, but you must book in advance. Or take the public commuter Ferry to Vallejo and back for a low cost scenic water tour.

1. Fisherman's Wharf (attraction)
  2. Union Square (attraction)
  3. Legion of Honor (attraction)
  4. Lincoln Park (attraction)
  5. Lands End (attraction)
  6. Sutro Baths (attraction)
  7. AT&T Park (attraction)
  8. Dogpatch (attraction)
  9. Vallejo (city)