Jillian

Favorite coffee shops in SF?

Out of all the choices in San Francisco, where are your favorite coffee shops and why? Looking for the best of the best. I'm staying in Pac Heights, but not concerned about location.

Looking for: best tasting coffee, nice baristas, and place to sit and have some conversation.

Travis

I love myself a good coffee and have found quite a few gems in SF. Here are my favs:

I'll second Sightglass when you're in SOMA, great coffee, roasted on location, and the atmosphere is pretty cool. Another cool little spot nearby that serves Blue Bottle is VEGA Blue Bottle Coffee, but not much for seating here, it's small.  

My favorite in the Marina District is Le Marais Bistro and Bakery, they serve Stumptown coffee. They also happen to have awesome baked goods. 

If you're looking for something a little different, Philz Coffee is great. No lattes or things like that though, they specialize in a unique pour over. 

1. Sightglass (restaurant)
  2. SOMA (neighborhood)
  3. VEGA Blue Bottle Coffee (attraction)
  4. Marina District (neighborhood)
  5. Le Marais Bistro and Bakery (restaurant)
  6. Philz Coffee (restaurant)

Valerie from Los Angeles

Great question! I consider myself quite the coffee snob so here are a few favorite spots:

Saint Frank Coffee on Polk St. has awesome baristas who are friendly and make great, unique drinks. This place gets busy but it never feels crowded inside. Delicious coffee and a fun spot to come with friends. Bonus: some of the milk they use is homemade! 

The Mill is a fun spot for a light breakfast and coffee. I love this place mainly because everyone who works there is so friendly and well informed about their beans. They also have really good toast (they bake their own breads). If you're still in the city on Monday, Check out their pizza night!

Andytown Coffee Roasters is such a cute coffee shop in outer sunset. They are known for their drink called the "Snowy Plover" which is espresso, sparkling water, and homemade whipped cream. Drool.

1. Saint Frank Coffee (restaurant)
  2. The Mill (restaurant)
  3. Andytown Coffee Roasters (restaurant)

Dave

Check out Philz Coffee - a legend in the Bay Area - and by far the best coffee - there is a Philz Coffee in the Mission and a couple others through the city. 

1. Philz Coffee (restaurant)

zach from Manhattan Beach

Jillian,

You must try Blue Bottle Coffee There may not be anywhere to sit and your baristas might be slighlty more hipster than youd prefer - but the iced coffee will be worth it!  Theyre known for it, but dont be scared to try something else either. People love the coffee beans too, which is why they ship - anywhere! There are a few locations, and possibly more that I dont even know. You will find one in Hayes Valley which is pretty small, kind-of-like a walk-up counter. I believe there is also one in the Ferry Building on the Embarcadero. And on Saturdays, there is an amazingggg Farmer's Market at that same (Ferry) Building - and Blue Bottle always sets up a tent/booth outside as well. I would definitely go for the coffee but stay for...  everything else AWESOME!  You wont regret it but more importantly - enjoy your trip & your coffee!

-Zach

1. Blue Bottle Coffee (restaurant)

Johnston from San Francisco

My favorite coffee shop is The Station SF. They are Blue Bottle and the baristas and owner are so nice. The place is contemporary but comfortable and they have a few tables outside if the weather is nice.

1. The Station SF (restaurant)

Steve from San Francisco

Don't missCaffe Trieste the original grand daddy of em all, where Coppola wrote The Godfather....around the corner, on columbus, watch the world go by Caffe GrecoCaffe Greco ..these are the real deal.

1. Caffe Trieste (restaurant)
  2. Caffe Greco (restaurant)

Nitin from Copenhagen

I like Sightglass Coffee place. 

1. Sightglass (restaurant)

Christine and Jules - from Melbourne

There are so many great coffee shops in SF where you can set up shop on your laptop, working, writing or just people watching. And the coffee is delicious. I definitely second everyone who said Philz Coffee. It's an institution and you definitely cant miss it. Blue Bottle Coffee is just really really good coffee. One of my favs. Fourbarrel Coffee is another spot with excellent coffee. They can be a little over the top with their hipster vibe (seriously, the beards on those barristas, I can't even), but it is the mission after all. Happy drinking!

1. Philz Coffee (restaurant)
  2. Blue Bottle Coffee (restaurant)
  3. Fourbarrel Coffee (restaurant)

Eva from San Francisco

I've never truly understood the Philz love, but it does get a lot of it. Depends on what you like.

My most favorite café environment, all-around, is Jane. I lived in Portland for about 10 years, and I really miss the relaxed coffee environment there, which had the right mix of superb 3rd Wave coffee, excellent local food, and plenty of comfortable real estate within the coffee shop to relax, have a chat, etc. Jane manages all of those elements despite having some very high-priced real estate on Fillmore. They have a full menu, too, which is a major bonus. (Stumptown beans, from Portland)

Others have mentioned Farley's, which is a real classic (I used to go there as a kid) but has also kept up with the times. They, too, have a bigger menu and plenty of space to sit and chat. (De La Paz beans, from SF, now a subsidiary of Sightglass or Four Barrel, I believe)

The Castro, my neighborhood, now has a trifecta of good coffee (a couple years ago it was a good-coffee desert). Cafe Sophie is an underdog, but cute and easy to get to by transit. (Verve, from Santa Cruz, not my fave but Sophie makes up for it with their outrageously good mocha). Réveille Coffee Co. is the hot thing so it can be hard to get a seat at peak time, but it's worth it. (Four Barrel beans, from SF) Nice space, good full menu. And Hearth Roasters is so new I can't even put a pin on the map for it! They're on 17th just down from Castro/Market, next to Orphan Andy's. Just opened last week, but they've already won me over with an interesting full menu and great(!) house-roasted coffee. Suuuuuper nice people, excited to be in the hood.

1. Jane (restaurant)
  2. Farley's (restaurant)
  3. Cafe Sophie (restaurant)
  4. Réveille Coffee Co. (restaurant)

One place that I really enjoy is Ritual Coffee Roasters in the Mission.  Great coffee and chill vibe.  There's a Ritual Coffee Roasters in the Lower'ish Haight area, too, which is closer to Pac Heights.  I used to cowork at the Mission one all the time.  Even when they used to just be a bunch of chair, tables, and couches thrown into a spot, it was still decent, but they recently remodeled and it looks awesome now.And of course, Philz Coffee!  Their mint mojito latte is awesome.  They muddle mint into a latte.  I love their 24th Street location in the Mission.  You can actually sit there and hang out with other people.  There's a Philz Coffee near Pac Heights.  You can sit there and hang out, too, but most people hang out with their laptops at the Van Ness location :P

1. Ritual Coffee Roasters (restaurant)
  2. Ritual Coffee Roasters (restaurant)
  3. Philz Coffee (restaurant)
  4. Philz Coffee (restaurant)

Mark from San Francisco

I really like Matching Half Cafe -- great low-key neighborhood spot and not overly crowded. They've got outdoor seating as well. 

1. Matching Half Cafe (restaurant)

Brian from Columbus

Farley's on Potrero Hill is a classic San Francisco local coffee shop. Fantastic espresso, lattes and organic food. Grab a Scrabble game from the bookshelves or pick up a magazine or just work alongside the kids building the next big startup. Important strategy discussions and investor conversations happened here with old school Digg guys.

1. Farley's (restaurant)