Allison
San Diego, California

San Francisco, Napa

Best way to get from San Francisco to Napa

I'll be traveling to San Francisco with my family.  We'll be staying in San Francisco for a week and my husband and I were thinking about heading up to Napa for a day or two with our two kids, ages 5 and 8.  We hear there are wine buses, but I'm not sure if that's the best option for my kids, so any suggestions on the best way to get to Napa from San Francisco?

If it were just you and your husband, I would've suggested boarding a wine bus, but with children in the equation, I don't think that that's the best idea.  My suggestion would be to rent a car.  The trip will be more leisurely and comfortable for the kids and it's actually a fairly short ride.  With no traffic, you'll be in Napa from San Francisco within the hour.  You can drive across the Golden Gate Bridge and see beautiful Marin, or you could take the Bay Bridge and drive through Berkeley and a few other cities.  If you do end up driving, one fun thing for the kids is to stop off by the Jelly Belly Factory in Fairfield for a tour.

I'm not sure what your family's travel style is like, but another option would be to rent a limo or town car for a certain number of hours.  I don't know if you have any people in the area, but if they come with you, you could all split the cost and a full day of wine tasting usually figures to about $50-$100 a person.  There are lots of options there.  A driver will take you to all the wineries and attractions that you want to visit during your predetermined number of hours.  This is leisurely and you and your husband can have a few drinks without worrying about driving, so that's something to look into.

1. Jelly Belly Factory (attraction)
  2. Golden Gate Bridge (attraction)