Ryan
Redondo Beach

Best street food in SF?

I'll be in SF for a weekend and I'm looking for some great street food. I'm a big fan of Asian food but I'll eat anything. Let's see what you got!

Kevin from San Francisco

If you're here on a Friday night (5-10pm) your best one stop shop for street food would be Off the Grid: San Francisco in the Fort Mason parking lot. They have a rotating cast of food trucks, about 30-40 and plenty of them are amazing Asian based as well.

You can also check out SoMa StrEat Food Park which is open everyday and has about 20 different food trucks that rotate in and out. This place is great because you don't have to time it, just show up!

1. Off the Grid: San Francisco (attraction)
  2. Fort Mason (attraction)
  3. SoMa StrEat Food Park (restaurant)

If you're coming in on a Friday night, Off the Grid: San Francisco is where you want to be. Tons of food trucks there.  If not, there's always the pod of food trucks in SoMa StrEat Food Park, which is open 7 days a week and also till late night.

For a place with a good view, the Ferry Plaza Farmers' Market on Saturday mornings and afternoons doesn't just sell produce, but some restaurants and food carts and trucks also have stands there.

If you like creme brûlée, the Creme Brulee cart seems to be permanently parked in the Castro.  Though they might also make appearances in the other spots I listed above, and then some.

If you want real no frills street food, head to the Mission District.  There are guys selling bacon-wrapped hot dogs on the sidewalk all the time, especially on weekend evenings.  You can't miss the smell.  

Also, Panchita's Pupuseria Restaurant #2 makes a mean sidewalk pupusa.

2. SoMa StrEat Food Park (restaurant)
  3. Ferry Plaza Farmers' Market (attraction)
  4. Creme Brulee cart (restaurant)
  5. Mission District (neighborhood)
  6. Panchita's Pupuseria Restaurant #2 (restaurant)

Steve from San Francisco

Check out the Ferry Building especially on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays, when they have their farmers markets. a walk down stockton street in Chinatown San Francisco's another option. Not exactly street food, but close. Also: google sf food trucks, or sf 'Off the Grid: San Francisco'  for various regular gatherings.

1. Ferry Building (attraction)
  2. Chinatown San Francisco (metro area)
  3. Off the Grid: San Francisco (attraction)

Cara from San Francisco

I second everyone else's answers here! I'd also strongly encourage you to find the Bacon Bacon Truck truck. It will change your life!!

1. Bacon Bacon Truck (restaurant)

Darleen from Sacramento

You are in luck! San Fransico is a great city for Asian street food. Two places come to mind, Japantown and San Francisco Chinatown. If you are there in business I am guessing Chinatown will be easier to get to. It is near the city center and the financial district. The Japanese Cultural center is more more north and west, but accessible by bus routes.

I like to walk up and down the many streets of Chinatown, stopping to buy chopped char Su, duck or sausage from the many prepared meat shops. In between I pick up dim sum and bakery items from other little shops, and eat them as I walk to the next little shop. 

If sidewalk dining is not your style, then take a seat in one of the many dim sum restaurants along the way and have the carts serve you.

Japantown is mostly indoors and would be a better choice in poor weather. There you will find many kinds of regional Japanese foods in the center and around the nearby streets. 

Good luck and happy travels!

1. Japantown (neighborhood)
  2. San Francisco Chinatown (attraction)

Jodi from Funchal

I visited San Francisco after months in Vietnam, and I was craving bun rieu soup. Lucky for me I was recommended a tiny soup stall in the heart of downtown, called Soup Junkie (photo below).

(If you want more history on the soup, I've written about it here -- it's one of my favourites, a crab and tomato broth originally from Northern Vietnam.) 

1. Soup Junkie (attraction)