Michael

Best area for photos of the Golden Gate?

Where can I get the best pics of the Golden Gate Bridge?

Krista from San Francisco

Hi Michael,

It's like you were reading my mind because I was just thinking about writing about this as a new blog post after several people asked the same question this week. :)

There are so many great spots to snap pics of the famous Golden Gate Bridge, and I recommend doing so from a few different ones:

• Marin Headlands I highly recommend crossing the bridge to visit the Marin Headlands - the somewhat hidden viewpoint is much better than either offered (and packed with tourists!) on the end of the bridge on the Northern and Southern sides. I shared a few tips for getting there here

• Coastal Trail The Lands End coastal trail will give you nice views of the bridge from the other side of the Bay, in addition to an unblocked view of the Pacific.

• Baker Beach The best place to snap a sunset shot. :) 

• Crissy Field Favorited by locals, this strip of land along the water gives you great views of the Bay, GGB, and Alcatraz.

• Alcatraz Visiting Alcatraz Island gives you a great opportunity to snap the bridge - either from the island or during the ferry ride.

• The Golden Gate Bridge itself. Rent a bike (I recommend Blazing Saddles), drive, or walk across!

• Boat: The best $20 you can spend - take a 90 minute boat cruise by Alcatraz and under the Golden Gate Bridge. Look for “Wacky Jacky” or find Captain Darrell. These little boats are always docked across from Joe's Crab Shack Fishermans Wharf.

Happy snapping!

1. Marin Headlands (attraction)
  2. Coastal Trail (attraction)
  3. Baker Beach (attraction)
  4. Crissy Field (attraction)
  5. Alcatraz (attraction)
  6. Golden Gate Bridge (attraction)
  7. Blazing Saddles (attraction)
  8. Joe's Crab Shack Fishermans Wharf (restaurant)

Leonard from Minneapolis

Cross the Golden Gate Bridge into Sausalito. As others have mentioned, the little rest area on the other side affords wonderful shots not just of the bridge, but of the city as well.

1. Golden Gate Bridge (attraction)
  2. Sausalito (city)

For a different angle than most, head out to Lands End, from the parking lot head out along the trails for about a 10 minute walk when the bridge will come into view.  Also love the views from across the bay near Sausalito.

1. Lands End (attraction)
  2. Sausalito (city)

Renate from San Francisco Bay Area
  • My favorite spot for a sunrise photo of the Golden Gate Bridge is the Marin Headlands because you're looking east and will have not only the bridge but the San Francisco skyline in view (unless there's fog but that's beautiful, too).
  • My favorite spot for a sunset photo is Lands End

• Crissy Field is a great spot not only for sweeping views of the Golden Gate Bridge (use the widest angle lens you've got) but for a great walk or run and awesome views of Alcatraz Island, too. And, on your walk toward the bridge, there's a Warming Hut Cafe where you can stop for a coffee and pastry or sandwich. 
  • The Bay Area Discovery Museum a wonderful children's museum in Sausalito has great views of the bridge!
  • Wherever you choose to go, don't forget to wear layers no matter the time of year! It can be mighty chilly and all of the locations mentioned have their own particular micro-climates. Happy photography!

1. Golden Gate Bridge (attraction)
  2. Marin Headlands (attraction)
  3. Lands End (attraction)
  4. Crissy Field (attraction)
  5. Alcatraz (attraction)
  6. Warming Hut Cafe (restaurant)
  7. Discovery Museum (attraction)
  8. Sausalito (city)
  9. Bowley St & Lincoln Blvd (attraction)

Kristal from San Francisco

Michael, 

I would second all of Krista's suggestions, she nailed it. I would also add Fort Point National Historic Site, for a different perspective and probably the closest you will get to it without being on it. 

-Kristal

1. Fort Point National Historic Site (attraction)

Sabrina from Corning, California

Once you cross the Golden Gate Bridge, theres this little area to rest and go to the bathroom. Once you're up there you can find plenty of amazing places to snap a picture. 

1. Golden Gate Bridge (attraction)