Sean
Hartford

Best Dim Sum in SF or neighboring cities?

We would like to find good dim sum places with reasonable prices in and around SF.

Andy from San Francisco

Anyone who really knows dim sum knows that the best dim sum is not found in San Francisco Chinatown . The reason is that dim sum is mostly eaten on weekends with family, and most Chinese families in San Francisco do not live in Chinatown. That is why the best dim sum places are found where the Chinese actually live, which is the Inner Richmond , and the Sunset District

My favorite dim sum place is Hong Kong Lounge , and this includes all the dim sum places I've tried in New York City. Hong Kong Lounge is on the pricier side, but what you get is very fresh, high-quality dim sum in bigger portions than you'll find at other places. 

When I go there, I always get the baked roast pork buns, the shrimp noodle rolls, the shrimp dumplings, and the steamed egg yolk buns. Their other stuff is good too. A couple of things worth trying are their coffee flavored ribs, and the turnip cake. I usually go with just a couple of people and that's enough food for all of us. 

Do not leave there without getting the baked roast pork buns. They are the best I've ever had anywhere in the world. And I've had dim sum in San Francisco, New York, and Hong Kong. 

In case you were interested in getting soup dumplings or other types of dumplings. My favorite place in San Francisco is Dumpling Kitchen . Their soup dumplings are the best in the city, and their pan fried pork buns are to die for. 

1. San Francisco Chinatown (attraction)
  2. Inner Richmond (neighborhood)
  3. Sunset District (attraction)
  4. Hong Kong Lounge (attraction)
  5. Dumpling Kitchen (restaurant)

Patrick from Denver

I found this list while doing some trip research and all of the ones we tried were fantastic. 

http://www.sanfrancisco.travel/article/san-francisco’s-best-dim-sum-neighborhood

Skip the ones for the The Castro and Financial District. Definitely try Delicious Dim Sum in San Francisco Chinatown. Also, Shanghai Dumpling King in the Richmond District was fantastic. The Richmond is home to SF's unofficial chinatown, along Clement Street, so that's a good off-beaten-path spot to find great asian restaurants. You will be competing against in-the-know locals for a seat during peak times (but that goes for every good eatery in SF). 

1. The Castro (attraction)
  2. Financial District (attraction)
  3. San Francisco Chinatown (attraction)
  4. Shanghai Dumpling King (restaurant)

John from Carlsbad (California)

i second Yank Sing.  It's a comfortable, even elegant place with good service and great dim sum.

1. Yank Sing (restaurant)

Cleon from Thessaloníki

My favorite, and most recommended to me before I tried it, is Yank Sing. It's a bit overpriced for Dim Sum, but reasonable for San Francisco standards. And everything was delicious!

1. Yank Sing (restaurant)