harmony
Marina Del Rey

Any restaurant recommendations greatly appreciated for a girls trip

My girlfriend & I are coming up to San Fran for a girls shopping trip. We tried to reserve a table at the Slanted Door & its booked. Where else would be a great place to eat with a good vibe, & good atmosphere, & good food? Staying in Union Square so anyplace nearby is preferred. 

Suh-weet!  Here are some of my favorite spots in SF for girls night out:

Gitane is a sexy and tasty restaurant on Claude Lane with great Spanish food and cocktails.  The decor there is so lovely!Hops & Hominy is great for Southern food.  Even though it's fried chicken and mac n cheese, this place is higher end.  If you like bacon and bourbon, you're going to have to try to bacon-infused Bulleit.

Barbacco is awesome for a trendy family-style Italian meal with a great wine list in FiDi.  Nothing like meatballs, pasta, brussel sprouts deep fried in duck or bacon fat, deep fried polenta sticks, and good wine.  By the way, the below photo is probably during the day time, but in the evening, there's great mood lighting!

If you want Asian fusion, a Hakkasan just opened up recently.

Tropisueño is good for fancy Mexican. Great food and margaritas!

Colibrí Mexican Bistro is another really awesome one for Mexican food and margaritas that's even closer to Union Square.If you're looking for good wine and small bites, I love The Hidden Vine.  It's tucked away in an alley in FiDi and absolutely lovely inside.  Great wine flights and charcuterie plates and flat bread.The Barrel Room is another favorite for wine and nibbles.  Actually, Hidden Vine used to be here, but when they moved to the alley location, some former employees took over and opened Barrel Room.  I guess it's a hotel bar since it's attached to a hotel, but it doesn't feel like it and it isn't overpriced or pretentious at all.If you don't mind venturing out a little, I love Fat Angel Food and Libation.  Really cute spot in an unusual location, yet still always packed.  They have great wine on tap and awesome food, including flat bread and mac n cheese.  Mmmmm... carbs :)Another one that's outside of Union Square that I love is Bocadillos in North Beach, a very tasty Basque restaurant with the friendliest bartenders.  My girlfriends and I sometimes save room in our stomachs to come here post-girl dinner and split a bottle of Basque cider and dessert.  I love their kefir yogurt dessert.Hope you ladies have fun!

1. Gitane (restaurant)
  2. Hops & Hominy (restaurant)
  3. Barbacco (restaurant)
  4. Hakkasan (restaurant)
  5. Tropisueño (restaurant)
  6. Colibrí Mexican Bistro (restaurant)
  7. The Hidden Vine (attraction)
  8. The Barrel Room (attraction)
  9. Fat Angel Food and Libation (attraction)
  10. Bocadillos (restaurant)

JR from Manhattan Beach

SF, look out! Sounds like a great trip.

You can always grab a bar seat at Slanted Door if you're really looking to try it but they don't serve the full menu, just fyi. If you're there on saturday, check out the farmers market at the Ferry Building, it's fun. If you're at the Ferry Bldd during the day, another noteworthy stop is called Boulette's Larder. It's a cool, small kitchen that you can basically sit in. But they make a pastry there called a canele. It's un-be-liev-a-ble... a must try. 

I'll second State Bird Provisions, an easy Uber from Union Square

If you guys are looking for a cocktail, I'd say hit up Bourbon and Branch or Rickhouse which are close to were you're staying. 

If you need a shopping break and a caffeine recharge check out Samovar Tea Lounge (yummy snacks too) or Blue Bottle Coffee these locations are both fairly close to where you'll be staying/shopping. 

have fun!

1. Slanted Door (restaurant)
  2. Ferry Building (attraction)
  3. Boulette's Larder (restaurant)
  4. State Bird Provisions (restaurant)
  5. Union Square (attraction)
  6. Bourbon and Branch (restaurant)
  7. Rickhouse (attraction)
  8. Samovar Tea Lounge (attraction)
  9. Blue Bottle Coffee (restaurant)

Alberto from San Francisco

I've heard Nopa is good. Also State Bird Provisions and The Tipsy Pig for brunch.

1. Nopa (restaurant)
  2. State Bird Provisions (restaurant)
  3. The Tipsy Pig (restaurant)

William from San Francisco

You should check out Park Tavern. There's a great crowd at the bar on Thursday nights. There's also several bars to check out within a 3 minute vicinity of here so you can grab a drink before/after. Also, if you're looking for something super nice, maybe get a reservation at Hakkasan. The SF location just opened and people have been raving about it. 

1. Park Tavern (restaurant)
  2. Hakkasan (restaurant)

Arnold from San Francisco

1. Nihon Whisky Lounge (attraction)
  2. Foreign Cinema (restaurant)
  3. Local Edition (attraction)

Serena from San Francisco

If you're into sushi, Ozumo is awesome. It's pricey, but the food is great and the atmosphere is super fun. Perfect girl's night spot, for sure. 

Mamacita in the marina is also a really fun spot. The margaritas are strong, the food is good, and the vibe is even better. Delarosa is also a favorite. Great wine and Italian tapas - so good! 

1. Ozumo (restaurant)
  2. Mamacita (attraction)
  3. Delarosa (restaurant)

LV from Huntington Beach

Greens Restaurant in Fort Mason is amazing.  Right on the water, great vibe, awesome food, and stunning views of the Golden Gate Bridge...especially at sunset (sun sets directly behind the bridge, epic).

I'm not vegetarian, and I was blown away at how good the food was, two thumbs up. 

1. Greens Restaurant (restaurant)
  2. Fort Mason (attraction)
  3. Golden Gate Bridge (attraction)

Lindsay from Moreno Valley

Brenda's French Soul Food is delicious. My husband and I were introduced to it by a friend who lives in the area. We went for brunch. French Soul Food really translates more to food from New Orleans. We had some fantastic shrimp and grits that day. We're going to beg our friend to take us back there when we go visit this weekend.

Another place, that's more of a quick bite, is Ike's Place. Fantastic sandwiches.

You might also check Yelp. People in San Francisco are heavy, heavy users of Yelp.

1. Brenda's French Soul Food (restaurant)
  2. Ike's Place (restaurant)

Mary

I was just recently in San Francisco and I was overwhelmed trying to decide where to go. After chatting some friends I had a good list to tackle (though you'll notice that we spent most of the time in North Beach area).

The Square in North Beach on Washington Square Park. Its share plates - small to large. We were a group of 12 women and it was perfect for us. They had a pretty unique array of cocktails, order the Clarified White Russian - it will surprise you!

Comstock Saloon - like a flash back in time but in a very cool, hipster-ish (?) way.  Live band played in the balcony, the food was good, cocktails fun, creative and delicious and it was great service.

I also enjoyed my meal (especially the brussels sprouts in duck fat) at Barbacco - yummmm!! The service on the night we went however was a bit underwhelming. 

Definitely grab coffee from Blue Bottle Coffee for the morning.  We completely enjoyed an afternoon sitting outside at Mario's Bohemian Cigar Store Cafe - sipping wine and eating some amazing focaccia sandwiches.

My last suggestion - If you head out of town for a drive - the Fremont Diner in Sonoma is worth the stop! I was definitely impressed. 
Have a great time!

1. The Square (restaurant)
  2. Comstock Saloon (attraction)
  3. Barbacco (restaurant)
  4. Blue Bottle Coffee (restaurant)
  5. Mario's Bohemian Cigar Store Cafe (restaurant)
  6. Fremont Diner (restaurant)

Bridge from San Francisco

Maven (Maven) in the Lower Haight is great for some good cocktails before/with dinner.

It's pretty centrally located and other than Friday afternoon is typically crowded enough to have a good vibe, but not overwhelming.

For brunch, Plow is one of my favorites. Brunch in SF starts earlier than in NY. For a bigger group (5+), aim to arrive by 10am, as most restaurants don't take reservations. There are cute shops & a coffee shop nearby, so you can check that out while you wait.

1. Maven (attraction)
  2. Plow (restaurant)

Michael from San Francisco

Lots of great suggestions already!

Along the Embarcadero (where Slanted Door is) there's a relatively new spot, Hard Water that serves soul food inspired dishes.  

If you want something a little different, La Mar serves up fancy Peruvian food.  

Near the Transamerica building is a trendy new Japanese restaurant, Roka Akor | San Francisco.

Keeping it closer to Union Square, I would suggest BBurritt Room, which is on the second floor of the Mystic Hotel.  Bartenders there are awesome, and there's always a diverse crowd.  One of my favorite bars!

I'm also a fan of Bourbon and Branch as well, however, they require you to make reservations ahead of time and typically with a pre-determined time slot, so you may want to prepare for that.  

Not too far is Jonesand on a nice day you can sit out on the patio.

If you're into vegan food, Millennium is an amazing restaurant, even if you're not vegan (which I'm not)

I'm also a big fan of Gitane

1. Hard Water (attraction)
  2. La Mar (attraction)
  3. Roka Akor | San Francisco (restaurant)
  4. Burritt Room (attraction)
  5. Bourbon and Branch (restaurant)
  6. Jones (attraction)
  7. Millennium (attraction)
  8. Gitane (restaurant)

Jillian from Los Angeles

Check out Anchor & Hope if you like seafood! Close to Union Square, and I love the overall atmosphere for a girls trip. The raw oysters paired with some white wine-- yes please!

1. Anchor & Hope (restaurant)

Jerry from Burlingame

Even if Slanted Door is booked, for lunch you can sit at the bar, or the bar area, and order food - just as good as getting a table, maybe better (bartender gave me a taste of really expensive champagne).

1. Slanted Door (restaurant)

Laura from Pleasanton, California

I highly recommend Press Club! It's a great wine bar with yummy small bites. If you're looking for more of a meal, Salt House is a great option in nearby SoMa.

1. Press Club (attraction)
  2. Salt House (restaurant)

Nitin from Copenhagen

1. The Cheesecake Factory (restaurant)
  2. Hakkasan (restaurant)
  3. Nopa (restaurant)
  4. Kokkari Estiatorio (restaurant)

Jesse from Oroville

If you like sports MoMo's Restaurant is a fun place.

1. MoMo's Restaurant (restaurant)

Emi from San Francisco

Hi! How fun, you'll love it. Eat at farm:table our very favorite for breakfast! Dinner is fun at Nick's Crispy Tacos, The Cheesecake Factoryon top of Macy's Union Square, (can't beat that view!!!) or the classic Sears Fine Food in Union Square. See more for your trip on my blog!

http://www.welltraveledwife.com/2013/01/c-guide-to-san-francisco.html

xo

1. farm:table (restaurant)
  2. Nick's Crispy Tacos (restaurant)
  3. The Cheesecake Factory (restaurant)
  4. Sears Fine Food (restaurant)