Sherry asked

two elderly women and 1 dog driving from San Diego to Pueblo

Want to use southern route with possibly two stop overs going up and back, be nice if they were different. places to stay and eat at stop overs, middle price range. will consider very special deals

San Diego (California) Pueblo (Colorado)

Matt from Allentown, Pennsylvania
It it were me, I'd stop in Tucson and Santa Fe (New Mexico) Last time I was in Tucson was 1985 so I'm probably not much help in recommending anything there. Santa Fe has AMAZING food and accommodations. You may have to splurge a bit here, but it'll be worth it. Check out Casa Culinaria or El Farolito (that's where I stayed in a charming little adobe casita). Cafe Pasqual's is an institution, and not expensive at all, but ask around as the restaurant scene is ever-changing. There are some excellent museums near the central square.