Liv
Cape Cod

San Diego

Wondering which beach is better to stay at? Ocean Beach or Mission Beach?

I'll be in San Diego for an upcoming wedding and looking for a beach house to rent for the weekend. I'm looking for something a little more relaxing and close to restaurants we can walk to. Nothing too busy and safety is a must. 

Kristie from Coronado Island

Mission Beach for sure. But if I were you I'd pick La Jolla, Coronado, or Del Mar over both of those

1. Mission Beach (attraction)
  2. La Jolla (attraction)
  3. Coronado (attraction)
  4. Del Mar (attraction)

Cynthia from San Diego

Depends what you are looking for. 

Ocean Beach is more casual, bohemian,hostel,hippy

Mission Beach is also casual, but big Boardwalk, Belmont Park, more restaurants in various price ranges. 

Out out of those two, I would go for Mission Beach.

1. Ocean Beach (attraction)
  2. Mission Beach (attraction)
  3. Belmont Park (attraction)

David from El Cajon

While I like both, for a quieter, safer stay, I would choose Mission Beach.  South Mission, which is south of Belmont Park, is quieter than the northern part, but has only a few restaurants. Parking is a challenge.  If you have a car, find a place with a private parking spot.  I agree with Candace about Mission.  Get a spot on the bay side for the quiet.  North Mission is within walking distance to several restaurants.  

1. Mission Beach (attraction)
  2. Belmont Park (attraction)

Gail from Madison

Look for the area (spit of land) between the beaches.  I'm sure you know vacation rental by owner (vrbo.com)--just search there--great beach houses!

Cate from San Diego

Both are great options, but to me, I prefer Mission Beach because of the easy access to the board walk for people watching and bike cruising. Stay on the bay side in north mission and then its an easy walk to all the restaurants in Pacific Beach.  The bay side is generally quieter than the beach side, but still only a very short walk to the beach. Lots of vacation rentals in Mission Beach.

1. Mission Beach (attraction)

Angel from Seattle

No question. Ocean Beach!

1. Ocean Beach (attraction)

Jessie from San Diego, California

Ocean Beach is hippy & mellow + Mission Beach is family & activity full - it depends on what you're looking for!

1. Ocean Beach (attraction)
  2. Mission Beach (attraction)

Yvonne from San Diego

Better restaurants in Pacific Beach, more of a hippy vibe in Ocean Beach. Both have restaurants and shops to walk to

1. Pacific Beach (neighborhood)
  2. Ocean Beach (attraction)