Lauren
Jersey

San Diego

Where to stay in San Diego

Myself and three friends are going to be visiting California in April. For the first week of our holiday (4th-10th April) we are going to be staying in San Diego. We are looking to visit attractions such as Seaworld, Aquatica water park, San Diego zoo, a range of museums and do some shopping. We are unsure of what area of San Diego would be a good place to stay that is safe, convenient to the attractions and has plenty to do nearby at both night and day time. Staying near a beach would be a bonus however I am not too sure of what the temperatures are like at that time of year and whether a visit to the beach would be worth it? Please advise me which areas of San Diego you think would be suitable. We  are looking to rent a holiday home as opposed to staying in a hotel and I have been looking on websites such as Airbnb and Roomorama but I would be grateful if you know of any other suitable websites? Finally I would be very grateful if anybody has any advice on where to purchase tickets for the above attractions that would be of the lowest cost possible and whether we are best to purchase them in advance before our holiday or not? Many thanks, Lauren

Maria from Pomona, California

Hello! I used to be a student at Point Loma Nazarene Universitywhich is located in Point Loma, about 10 minutes from downtown San Diego. They have a cute little alumni house where you can rent rooms between $40-$60, and I believe they are available to non-alumni. The view from the campus is GORGEOUS and it's located in a quiet up-scale neighborhood. Right down the road is a wonderful little cafe called Con Pane Rustic Breads & Cafe great for breakfast before you take on the sights. Point Loma is also close to quite a few smaller beaches.

Weather is usually very mild all year round near the beach (lows in the 50's/60's F, highs in the 70's) and can get chilly. Warning, the water is ALWAYS cold on the west coast, so be prepared to run screaming out of the water the first time you go in. You'll find that every day is a beach day but not every day is a water at the beach day, so there will definitely be people at the beach but you may not find many in the water. 

Not sure where to get cheaper tickets, check online for possible coupons. The area near the zoo, Balboa Park is beautiful, and at the end of your day you absolutely have to visit Extraordinary Desserts near the park (soooo good!). 

1. Point Loma Nazarene University (attraction)
  2. Point Loma (attraction)
  3. San Diego (city)
  4. Con Pane Rustic Breads & Cafe (restaurant)
  5. Balboa Park (attraction)
  6. Extraordinary Desserts (restaurant)

Lynn

There are lots of hotels on Hotel Circle.  Not the most glamorous  place to stay, but it is convenient to: the beaches, Sea World, Old Town & the transit station, the Zoo, restaurants, shopping.  The Freeway (I-8) runs along there so its easy to get anywhere.  Not sure about holiday homes...                                                                                

1. Hotel Circle (attraction)

Aerin from Santa Barbara

I absolutely love La Jolla, although it's an expensive area so the cost of renting a place could be considerably higher than renting one in say, Point Loma.

1. La Jolla (attraction)
  2. Point Loma (attraction)