Michele asked

What's the best beach in San Diego?

Looking to go to a beautiful beach to take great pictures and relax. Lesser known beach and less touristy. 

San Diego (California)

Michael from San Diego

The two most scenic beaches in San Diego are Coronado Beach  (not too touristy in the off-season) and Black's Beach up near UCSD.  The latter is not too accessible -- need to walk down a path to get to it.   Torrey Pines State Park is also quite beautiful, but takes some walking.  

JR
I agree with Michael's beach choices. Great answer. Michael, since I'm a moderator, I went ahead and added the @symbol to plot these plot these places on the map. Looks better huh?

Clancy
I also agree on all three counts. Torrey Pines is my favorite. Also, if you looking for a sunset/evening beach, try Moonlight Beach (Encinitas). It's packed in the daytime, but lovely at night.

Michele
Those are great suggestions. Thanks!

Samuel
Little heads up, Blacks is a considered a Nudist beach... has been my whole life. your probably fine after 4-5 when people aren't tanning any more. Just a little heads up incase you are planning a family outing. also the surfing at blacks is second to non it's a premier beach but you got a hike ahead of you :)

Samuel
also if you're just in downtown and don't want to drive up north @Sunset Cliffs is named that for a reason its a little community with spectacular Cliffs and some of the most stunning Sunsets you can get!

1. Coronado Beach (attraction)
  2. Black's Beach (attraction)
  3. Torrey Pines State Park (attraction)
Micah from Humacao

For a different look, not beach, but great for beautiful scenery, try Point Loma - taking the road branching off to the right (to far west side of peninsula across from Coronado) when you come to the national park entrance. It will wind down to a parking lot where you can then walk along the shore and enjoy little cave-like openings and tidal pools as well as paths along the shoreline. 

Micah
The location is not showing properly on the map for some reason as Point Loma is located at the far south west point across the harbor from Coronado.

JR
Hey Micah. I fixed that weird mapping issue. It's in the right place now. Great tip btw!

1. Point Loma (attraction)
James from Maryland

Hotel Del Coronado has historic significance, cool little island, nice views, less tourists. Dog Beach in Del Mar is easy to miss.

1. Hotel Del Coronado (hotel)
  2. Dog Beach (attraction)